Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Battery charge issue MacBook Air
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery charge issue MacBook Air
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
I recently replaced the battery in my wife's 2012 MacBook Air. The original was flagging that it was in critical state, at below 40 percent capacity. From a full charge, it would get to near auto-shutdown in about two hours. I purchased a NewerTech replacement from OWC. Installation was easy, and I followed the "conditioning" steps to the letter. However, the battery charge indicator is showing that the new unit is supposedly going from full charge to 30 pct or so in two or three hours. The internal check (option,, click/hold on battery icon says battery condition is Normal, no Apps using significant energy. A couple of third-party battery diagnostics show Excellent battery health, with its max capacity slightly above its published rating. Activity Monitor Energy tab shows no unusual consumption of power. The computer is used mostly for email, messaging and web, some with an occasional video clip, but no heavy lifting in daily use.

Questions... could the new battery itself possibly be defective, even though all indicators show it's in perfect health? Might I just be getting false indications? Would a SMC reset recalibrate the indicators (even though the installation didn't call for it)? I have also done a couple of shutdown and power-up cycles that haven't changed anything. I don't suspect the charger/Power Adaptor, as the battery does charge up and the computer is powered, and it doesn't get excessively hot.
I await wisdom from Geniuses!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Reti,

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

You have nothing to lose by doing the SMC Reset. Do it.

If that does not change anything then call OWC's excellent customer service and request their help.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
What is the Full Charge Capacity of the new battery?

About this Mac>System Report>Power>Charge Information.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
What is the Full Charge Capacity of the new battery?

About this Mac>System Report>Power>Charge Information.

Full Charge Capacity= 7223 mAh (MFR rating 7220 mAh)
Health Info cycle count: 4
Condition: Normal

I believe OWC says the max mAh rating of the NewerTech battery is slightly higher than the OEM battery.

As I mentioned, all indicators except for rather quick 100pct to 20pct drop show "normal" or "Good" including check on Energy use tab in Activity Monitor.

I have done SMC reset. Will see if there was any recalibration of percent remaining when the computer is in use in the morning.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Well, SMC reset didn't seem to change anything.
Battery showing 100 percent, after 1.5 hours showing 50 percent.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Did you try OWC tech support?

ONTACT US: 1-800-275-4576

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
I had an online chat yesterday with one of their tech support guys, who seemed to thing this was not really a problem, that I should only expect 3-4 hours. I disagree, recalling that my wife was getting a full day's or evening's use on a single charge until the OEM battery started issuing warnings. Going to try phone support next.

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Those specs look good in my opinion...

Apple can still replace a 2012 MacBook Air battery for $129+tax. 2011 models are on the Vintage list, so those aren't available through Apple anymore.

When you looked at Activity Monitor, did you check to see how much Memory was in use? With all other apps closed, you should be under 2gb. I would also create another User and restart into that account for testing. Open iTunes and run Visualizer after a full charge and see how long it lasts. Very curious to know the results.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
FWIW: In 2014 I purchased a NewerTech replacement battery for my early 2008 MacBook Pro because the original was not providing as much time as expected any more, though there wasn't any warning message
As Chuck related here, the replacement battery never has done well, even though "conditioned" as instructed. As I recall, it gave me about the same amount of time as the original I was replacing at the time.

Still using it at home, but a full charge is gone in about an hour.

I never followed up with OWC support, as it was an older computer & I thought that was the real issue. - Was just happy a battery for the older laptop was available.

https://eshop.macsales.com/ite...erTech/BAP15MBP56RS/

The computer has had some upgrades, serves my purpose OK for now, but the charge cable is always handy.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post