Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    2007 24 inch iMac needs a new hard drive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 24 inch iMac needs a new hard drive
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I have an older iMac (have two newer ones since) that was still functioning and being used for basic internet and word processing tasks. It is a 2007 24 inch iMac that has a non fixable hard drive (it was tested today at the genius bar Novi apple store). There is no data on the hard drive that I need, so I'd like to replace it if its an affordable option (I'm assuming a replacement 24 inch iMac would be around $1500 or more?).

Should I try MacProfessionals? Are there any other options? Thanks Smile

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
A DIY kit is available from Other World Computing at iMac DIY Kit.

Posts: 1963 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Since Apple discontinued the 24" iMac at the end of 2009 and introduced the 27" iMac in 2010... your choices are the 21.5" iMac starting at $1,099 ($1,299 for the 4k display) or $1,999 for the 27" iMac with the 5k display. Both are solid units for most people.

Your 2007 iMac is considered Obsolete by Apple's standards since it is more than 7 years from last manufacture date. Vintage is only 5 years from last manufacture date. Both mean that Apple no longer stocks repair parts and is unable to provide hardware services.

A replacement HD for your iMac should run about $100 for a 1TB unit. There are plenty of videos online that offer step by step instructions. You may be able to find a MacGroup member who can offer to swap out your HD for a nominal cost. If you aren't already running 4gb of RAM, get that too while you are at it.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
thanks.. Ive learned that anyone considered a certified apple reseller (Apple store, MacProfessionals, Best Buy Novi) won't touch my computer, and anyone not apple certified doesn't know how to fix it.

Anyone MacGroup member interested in being hired to swap out my HD?

Thanks Smile

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just get an external drive and boot from it until the whole thing dies.

Much cheaper and you can do it yourself. A 1 or 2 TB external hard drive would cost well under $100.00 and you will still have the drive to use elsewhere when the iMac dies.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Dale,

I would be willing to take on the project of installing a hard drive if you are still looking to get the job done. I switched out my hard drive in my 2009 24 inch iMac. I believe it's pretty much the same procedure.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Calvin! I sent you a private post to reply to if you're interested Smile

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian. I asked about an external drive at the apple store and they felt it would run too slowly.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:
Why don't you just get an external drive and boot from it until the whole thing dies.

Much cheaper and you can do it yourself. A 1 or 2 TB external hard drive would cost well under $100.00 and you will still have the drive to use elsewhere when the iMac dies.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by dale:
quote:
Thanks Brian. I asked about an external drive at the apple store and they felt it would run too slowly.

Too slowly for what? Did "they" ask what your work load was? Did they specify SSD/Spinning Rust? These are important questions.

You have firewire 800 and could use almost any kind of drive. No internal work on iMac. I think Brian's suggestion is the correct way, while you save for a replacement system.

Posts: 1963 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Ill try it! I have some old externals around. or should I just buy a new one? Any suggestions on what external would work best? Also, the computer was running yosemite and I don't believe I got physical disks with it. Any suggestions on that?

thanks again

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dale,

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a FireWire drive it will be faster than USB on your older machine. And once you have booted it up you can then set it as your permanent Boot drive under preferences.

Let us know what happens.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post