Find
Notify
Tools

New SSD install Q's
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
I am ordering a 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD for my MacBook Pro 15".
It has been some time since I did an HD install and I'd appreciate a reminder or two of the best processes for doing this.
Current system is 10.9 Mavericks, I'd like to have the new drive running Yosemite. Should I:
A- With the new drive as an external, Install Yosemite 10.10x on it, then put the drive into the MBP, then use Migration Assistant from the old drive (now in its own enclosure) to get my non-System stuff on the new HD?
B-CC Clone the present drive onto the new drive, put it into the MBP, then install Yosemite over 10.9?
C- Your suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
When I installed my SSD...
1. Made a Backup of present hard drive
2. Removed old hard drive, installed new
3. Did a clean install of the Mac OS X onto the new drive
4. Used the Backup to copy over my User folder only (Drag/Drop)
5. I did not use Migration Assistant, as it will copy over obsolete files
6. Downloaded Trim-Enabler (to keep the third-party SSD working properly)

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chita.
Well, I was going to use Migration Assistant, as I really don't care if some old cruft comes over with it. I'm currently using just over half of my 500GB HD. I could do some housekeeping on the current drive beforehand, though, just to dump some old stuff.
I'm not a big fan of drag-and-drop Finder level copying, I've had transfers of larger files go into perpetual "hang" mode. Could probably do a UNIX copy function via Terminal that would do the trick better.
My understanding is that TRIM is an issue with Yosemite and non-Apple drives. Or does TRIM-Enabler overcome this?
[UPDATE] Did a little more searching, apparently this drive series is OK with TRIM under Yosemite, so Trim Enabler will do it for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Reti,

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Just so you know...
Some of that "old cruft" will slow your computer down.
I did a clean install with my old hard drive a year or so before installing the SSD.
The difference in speed and performance was quite noticeable.

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Here is the middle approach I use:

Use the Migration Assistant to ONLY copy the user and NOT anything else.

This also works for a new machine.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
So Migration Asst to copy User, then Drag-copy Applications (ones that can't be re-installed fresh) and Library?

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

If you are thinking of Drag-copy for applications, you might be better off to persuade Migration Assistant to handle those applications.

Stepping back a bit - My alternate procedure for all steps would be:
1. Make and verify clone backup.
2. Clone to the new drive. (before or after transplant)
3. Boot the new drive
4. Download and install Yosemite directly over the Mavericks system.
5. Reset the preferences that Apple has helpfully changed for you.
6. Transplant disks if not done already.

I use this procedure when I can be generally certain that the level of "cruft" is minimal. It has the advantages of simplicity and that any application that works both in Mavericks and Yosemite just keeps working.

I generally use steps 1-3 and 6 for disk replacements without OS upgrade.

Of course, If you have upgraded the OS in place since Panther, it really is time for a clean start.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice Chita and Jim. Hate to sound like a newbie but as I said it's been some time since I've done this, and never along with a new OS install.
Will report back once I'm up and running with the upgrade.
Of course as soon as I get used to Yosemite's foibles along will come El Capitan.

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
New drive in, up, and running hellaciously fast.
BlackMagicDesign Disk Speed test shows it's almost ten times faster on both read and write.
Yosemite OK, a PITA having to re-enter a few software keys.
Thanks for the tips!