New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacBook
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Why is the tiny light on the power cord not lit? It used to always be lit green (if it was charged) or orange (if it was charging).

Posts: 227 | Location: Southfield, MI USA | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's plugged into power?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is. It is plugged in to a power strip which is on, (My i-Mac is plugged in to the same power strip and it is on--so I am sure that the power strip is on.)

Posts: 227 | Location: Southfield, MI USA | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Try a different socket on the strip. Just like a USB hub, ports/sockets can go bad.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3779 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Is the battery symbol showing in your menu bar towards the top right of your screen? If so does it show that the laptop is charging?

Possibly the LED in the power plug went bad.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
The battery symbol is showing--at 24%.Tried to open energy saver preferences; received message that could "not open energy saver preferences pane". I have shut down the computer--because I'm afraid of running down the battery.

BTW: the power strip is brand new--within the last 3 months.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
If it's trying to charge there should be a lightning bolt through the battery symbol. Check to be sure the charge cable is seating completely (no crud between connector and computer port). If the cable and charger are seated properly, then it's time for a new charger.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3779 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a different charger cord. Borrow one or go to an Apple Store and try one of theirs.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
After jumping through many hoops (figuratively speaking) I met with a tech at the Somerset Genius Bar. (I remember when you could sign up on line for an appointment and explain the problem prior to meeting with a tech. Not anymore!)

Anyway, as I was waiting for the tech, I noticed that the cord on my charger was deteriorated and cracked all along much of the cord. That was the problem!

The tech was very helpful. He supplied me with a new charger and cable at $20 off the original price. Thanks to all of you for your help in trouble-shooting this problem!!

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my charger cord for my 15" 2012 MacBook. It is slowly cracking and deteriorating along its length and I've been patching it with electrical tape to keep it from shorting out. The charger is only two years old (purchased new from BestBuy after I lost the original) and has not been handled roughly or exposed to chemicals. By contrast, I still have a cord from an old MacBook 12" G4 which is seven years old and still in excellent condition. It would seem that Apple has a defective type of coating on some of its later chargers and I think they should replace them at no cost to the customer. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posts: 270 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post