Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Backup drive problem(s)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup drive problem(s)
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
I have a 1TB laCie drive I've been using to back up my wife's MBAir (running El Cap 10.11.6). One partition is the Time Machine backup, second is a bootable CC Clone, and the third is a small space for misc files.
Today, I plug in the drive to run backups, and the TM partition does not mount on the desktop, but the other two do, and I can open them up in Finder. However, the drive nor none of the partitions appear in Disk Utility. The TM partition obviously also does not show up in Time Machine prefs pane. If I have Disk Utility open, the internal startup drive shows correctly, but when I turn on the external drive, the two non TM partitions show on Desktop and in "Devices" in Finder window sidebar, but none show in Disk Utility. If I turn the drive on first, and then start Disk Utility, no drives (including internal) or partitions show at all, and Disk Util shows an endless pinwheel saying "loading Disks."
I can see all the partitions in Terminal, using "diskutil" commands, and all the partitions show up in System Information>USB (but not under Storage). From Finder, I cannot Eject the two partitions that do show as being mounted on Desktop. When I do so, the icons go transparent and remain, so the partitions are not truly unmounted. Trying a force eject from terminal also does not clear them from the desktop, and if I power down or unplug the drive, I get the "not ejected properly" scold.
Obviously there's a drive problem and I will replace this drive ASAP (it is long in the tooth). However, will the old backups be recoverable? Would Disk Warrior or some other utility help here, even if I can't mount the partitions? Seeking wisdom.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've given up on Disk Utility. Disk Warrior hasn't been great either the last couple of years. If a drive can be repaired, even temporarily, Tech Tool Pro might be able to do it. Have you tried repairing it from another computer? That will sometimes work for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phyllis Evans,

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3775 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
A followup:
After writing the novella above, I shut everything in the chain down, and started up again. Same deal with the "loading disks" spinning pinwheel. Since it was late, I just let it all keep going overnight. At some point, the missing partition mounted, all partitions visible on desktop and in Disk Utility. I ran a repair pass on the Time Machine partition, which took quite some time itself. Then ran a normal, successful TM backup from the MacBook Air. So, don't know what was going on with that, but it seems to have fixed itself, for now.
Still going to get a new drive, though.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post