Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Erasing a HD for resale issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Erasing a HD for resale issue
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I accidentally chose to erase the partition in recovery mode instead of the main drive, now I can't erase the main drive or reinstall the OS. I get a message that the main drive needs to be mounted but that option is greyed out. The info on the main drive says it can't be verified or repaired. Is there anything I can do to get it back into working condition? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
What computer and OS are you trying to reinstall?

If this is a Fusion Drive system (HD and SSD combo), please visit an Apple Store for help.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to reinstall on a 2011 MacBook Pro which was running El Capitan.

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You will need an external HD with a 10.11 install on it. This should allow you erase/partition the HD and reinstall your OS. If you have the ability to create one, you can use a 8gb flash drive. There are many instructions online to create one.

Another option is to make an appointment at your local Apple store and they can reinstall 10.11 in under an hour. Just book a Genius Bar session before heading in.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave, really appreciate your advice.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Made a call to the Apple Support people and they were able to assist me in getting a new copy of the OS over my wifi connection, so no trip to the Apple genius bar was needed. Only took about 30 minutes to get it back to out-of-box condition.A big thanks for the suggestions offered.