Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Hard drive issues with a 17" MacBook Pro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard drive issues with a 17" MacBook Pro
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
AIM: Online Status For macike
posted
I have a 17" MacBook Pro from 2010,with a 500GB Hard Drive,8 GB of RAM,and running Yosemite. I had hard drive corruption a couple weeks ago,I believe from MacKeeper popping up repeatedly,and the Genius at the Apple Store erased the hard drive,and re-installed OSX Yosemite. I then restored from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. Now,my internal HD shows 703.74 TB free space! The backup 500GB hard drive shows 75GB of space free. I'm not hearing any noises,or having any other performance issues. Should I replace the internal Drive? It checks out fine,according to Disk Utility. I'm considering a 1TB HD or a Hybrid 1TB HD. Any suggestions?

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
If you are seeing more space than you should be seeing... I would conclude that your HD is starting to fail.

My suggestion would be a SSD instead of HDD or Hybrid HHD. Solid State Drives are becoming very reasonable in price/size ratio. The speed improvement is fantastic. Crucial's MX series is probably the best bang for your buck.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Dave. Do you have confidence in a SSD's reliability,since some reports say that they have catastrophic failures,without warning? I have thought that the Cost/benefit ratio was still too high for the benefits of quicker launching or Boot-up times. If you still recommend a SSD,can I pay you,or someone else in MacGroup install it for me? The Apple Store wouldn't install a hard drive on a 13" MacBook Pro,that was bought at the same time(2010),because it's 5 years old.

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Macike,

In half-a-dozen SSD installations in MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and Minis, I have had one infant mortality, promptly replaced by the vendor. As Calvin says, "Back Up or Give Up!"

You asked, "can I pay you,or someone else in MacGroup install it for me?" Why, yes, yes you can.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
SSD's have gotten better in recent years but they don't offer a chance to retrieve data like a HDD might. Of course, if you are regularly backing up this isn't a problem.

I would be happy to suggest Jim Cutler or Brian Stone, if you are not comfortable doing this yourself. A fair price would be between $35-50 plus the cost of a SSD. Talk to either of these guys on where to find the best deal for one.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Gentlemen,I'll be in touch with one of those Gentlemen soon. If OS X is installed on the new drive,can I restore from my Backup drive as easily on a SSD as I would with a Spinning Hard drive? Is a Clean-install recommended,if you don't have all of the serial numbers and Software discs?