Find
Notify
Tools

Windows VS Mac
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of DigiMike
posted
I have promised a recent widow that I will help her with her wish to make prints from her husband’s photos of their last trip together in Sicily. PROBLEM: We put the photos on a portable hard drive formatted by her Windows computer. My new Mac (OS10.12.2) refuses to “see” the HD. So, having made a promise to help her, I ordered a cheap HP Windows computer - hoping I can get the HD to show up on the HP. If that succeeds, will I be able to transfer the photos (saved as TIFFs) to a Mac formatted thumb drive? I haven’t touched a Windows machine in over eight years. Any ideas about a workable solution?

Posts: 451 | Location: Grosse Pointe | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I checked with an Apple Consultant friend of mine and he thinks the problem is Sierra. Try the drive on another machine running El Capitan or lower and that should do it. If you do not have that combination available call me as I do. If you bring it over.

Brian

248-546-9339

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1655 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that you have a bad or damaged external drive. My iMac running the latest OS has no problem seeing or reading files on thumb drives from my Dell. I think you need special software for Windows to see and interact with a Mac formatted drive. It won't mount automatically, like Windows discs on Mac.

The easiest thing might be creating a DropBox account and moving the tiffs to that folder. You'll then be able to access them from any computer.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Format the thumb drive as FAT32, not NTFS. NTFS is supposed to be readable by Macs (but not writable) but FAT32 is more likely to be read successfully. If you had formatted the original drive as FAT32 you would most likely have been ok.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I concur with Jack. Go that route first.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post