Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    DVD discs recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVD discs recommendation
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
I have been having a lot of burning problems with Verbatim DL -R discs recently. What brand are recommended now? I see a lot of people are having problems with these same discs on Amazon recently. Are -R format still the preferred type? I don't have any trouble with CDs or single layer.I've been using Verbatim "forever."

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've had decent luck with Imation and Memorex. I did give up on the internal burner on my old iMac and use Blu-Ray/DVD burner that I bought from OWC a few years ago.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3775 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Where are you buying your discs nowadays? I just bout an OWC external burner just in case, but I am having no trouble burning CDs or single layer DVDs. I returned the Verbatims to Amazon today for a refund because I had so many coasters. I've always used -R as that is what was recommended by the group. Does it matter anymore?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Last ones I bought came from either Target or OfficeMax. That's where I usually buy them.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3775 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I am still burning not having DVD's on my Circa 2009 iMac using Verbatim and not having and problems more that the usual. I usually buy locally at Microcenter. Just burned a batch 2 week ago.

Have you cleaned your DVD burner lately? The have DVD's with little brushes and also I will take that canned air and give it a few puffs... not a sustained blast to keep it clean inside.

My 2 cents.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
After so many bad burns from that particular canister of Verbatims, I requested a refend from Amazon and returned them. I ordered some Memorex instead. I was only having trouble with those DL discs. No trouble reading or writing DVDs or CDs (I do a lot of books on CD from the library into iTunes). No trouble writing CDs or single layer DVDs--only DL DVDs, and those were all from the latest cannister from Amazon. So I'll see whether I still have any problems writing DL DVDs when I get the Memorex ones. The Genius Bar suggested not using the cleaning brushes but use compressed air instead, if needed.