Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Displaying macbook to 27" imac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Displaying macbook to 27" imac
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Can I and what cables do I need to:
Connect my late 2008 macbook "core 2 duo" to display on my 27" iMac late 2012 Screen?
Will this work
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073..._api_i_cvdgCb0YD86GP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: poobelly,

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
This will not work with the computers you have...

Your late 2008 MacBook only has mini-DVI output and your 2012 iMac has Thunderbolt (which should accept a mini display port plug).

The cable you reference will not work.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
So i need what is attached. Mini Display port connects to my macbook and I also need a
DVI to thunderbolt 2 Cord that will attach to the adapter then go to the thunderbolt on my 27"iMac? but i can't find the cord that goes into the 27" iMac from the adapter. Im sorry i just don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592 , there's a good chance this won't work.

If you put them on the same network (preferably wired, but wireless will work too) you can just remote into your laptop from your iMac. On the laptop, go into System Preferences, Sharing and turn on Screen Sharing. Then, in the finder on your iMac, look for your laptop under "Locations" (you may need to go to "Network" under locations). Click on your computer, then click on "Share Screen..." There will be a small lag, but unless you are playing real-time games or watching video it should work OK.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
What is the end result you are trying to achieve???

Are you just looking to have another monitor connected to your MacBook? Even if you find the right cables to create that, the image quality will most likely be poor.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I got it to screen share to work. I figured how to make the MacBooks screen larger on my iMac which is what I wanted. Im not working on anything that needs super clarity. Thank you so much. And if cables won't make it much clearer this will work. Im soooo excited thank you!!!!