Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrade to MoJave?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted
I have an older MBP running High Sierra and wonder if this machine will run MoJave. Is it compatible and how much will it slow down . Also what's the deal about 64 bit v. 32 bit systems. My MBP is running 10.13.6 and it is a 15" Mid 2012 vintage. Processor 2.3 GHs Intel Core i7.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
George,

Your 2012 15" MacBook Pro can handle Mojave.

The December 2018 MGD meeting will be all about Mojave and my experience upgrading to it. Hope you can join us to learn more.

I do wonder if your MBP has enough Memory/RAM to run 10.14/Mojave. Does yours have the Optical Disk Drive or is it the Retina MBP? My suggestion is to have a minimum of 8gb of Memory/RAM installed to enjoy the new OS comfortably.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
George,

The other topic is spinning HD vs SSD. If you don't already have an SSD, you might consider updating to an SSD. Mojave, like High Sierra, is written to take advantage of SSD performance.

Memory can be easily upgraded to 16GB as well.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Depending on how you will be using the computer, I would strongly suggest that you consider increasing the amount of memory over 8 gig. If you don't use a lot of apps concurrently then 8 should be fine.

Good Luck

My old rules of thumb......

--- You can never have a disk too big or too fast

--- You can never have too much memory

--- You can never have a screen too big or too high in resolution

--- You can never have a CPU too fast.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
George's Laptop has 16GB of ram and I installed a 1TB Samsung SSD and a new OWC battery on Friday. He had already done an upgrade to High Sierra.

It works very well and he is very happy with it.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian. I have 16GB and a 1TB ssd in my MacBookPro also. So now I will not hesitate to upgrade.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post