Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Need drive for Powerbook G4, not intel.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need drive for Powerbook G4, not intel.
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
grey screen on startup. ran original system disc. can't find harddrive. I assume it's died. Does anyone have a drive that would fit in here? otherwise, the computer was working fine recently. I use this to watch DVDs and tansfer my TIVO files.I have reset the PRAM, done a safe start, cond a command R start. Nothing got it up ecept the original Leopard disc. Ran Disk Utility and it says the drive can't be read, verified or repaired. I know this model is easy to open up.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You will need an IDE hard drive NOT a SATA drive for the G4. They tend to be pricey now that SATA replaced them about 10 years ago in almost every computer made.

Microcenter or www.macsales.com are 2 options.

Another option is to use a Firewire external HD and load an OS on that. G4 models do not support USB booting.

Your best option is to replace the computer with something Intel based.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. I have a newer Intel which is what I regularly use. I also have a firewire drive I could load the system onto. I have system discs. Thanks for the suggestion. It may be time for it to go to PowerBook heaven though.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post