Find
Notify
Tools

Keyboard lag
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
Not sure if this might be a software (OS) or hardware issue.
MacBook Air (Mid 2012), El Cap 10.11.3, my wife's computer.
After Wake from Sleep, either Computer or Display Sleep, there has developed a considerable lag before login name keys typed on the keyboard are begun to be accepted as input and echoed in the login window.
This happens quite frequently, but not every time, making it both frustrating for the user, and hard to determine any cause or circumstance that makes it happen.
Any ideas or suggestions for diagnostic actions?

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
My Air is a generation older and I haven't run into that behavior. I wonder if it has anything to do with swap files? How full is the hard drive?

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
It's a 128GB drive that's about 1/3 full.
Sue doesn't download much stuff. Email, web and some business Excels etc.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Two suggestions. Check to see if there is any sign of the battery going bad (swelling).

I'd also try setting up a clean identity and see if it does the same thing there. If it doesn't misbehave in a new identity, then I'd look at a corrupt prefs file in the user library.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Will give that a try, thanks.