Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Stop & Go on internet videos help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stop & Go on internet videos help
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
how do i make the Stop & Go on internet videos go away. do i need to change my settings? Im on a new macbook osX 10.5.6, 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, running firefox 3.5.2, I have version broadbandAcess using USB720. Im trying to watch foodtv videos and it stops and buffers all the time. I have 2 bands at home and if i go where i get all 4 bands it still does it. Im clueless about this. is there a setting change can i down load these movies and watch them later? this is fustrating.
Thanks Kelly

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
i have flash version 10,0,2,54 installed

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
AIM: Online Status For ChrisMehling123
posted Hide Post
What internet service to you have?

First, I would use a Cat5e Network Ethernet Cable to connect your Computer to your modem rather than USB. Note: Cat6 cable is also fine but more expensive.

USB has limited band width and your main CPU has to control and process all the USB traffic. Not to mention all your other USB devices are trying to talk at the same time and the CUP it busy also running the system, all your open programs, and all the background UNIX stuff.

Ethernet is specifically designed to handle this type of data communication. It also has it's own chip set in the computer to process the send the data quickly to where it is needed without tying up the main CPU. This may or may not be the problem but it's the first red flag I noticed in your problem.

Secondly, I would go to SpeedTest to check your internet latency, down and up load times. Post the speeds here if your still having troubles and we might be able to help nail down the problem more.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
i have Version broadbandAcess using USB720. its the only way beside dialup for me. i live in oxford in a odd place and have no cable or dsl. Version also allows me to have the internet in kalkaska MI which i love.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
ill do the speed test when i get back home on mon.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Have you considered talking to Verizon Wireless about the problem?

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You're going to get stuttering most likely on cell phone access (which is basically what the USB720 is - a data-only phone). The speed test should show that you are just doing OK.

I'd also be surprised if you are allowed to use video on their cell system - most of those plans forbid it.

You should also make sure you aren't going over any caps on the amount of data per month. Most of the cell connection plans say they are "unlimited" until you read the fine print, and find out "unlimited" is 5 GB per month.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I just checked the Verizon web site and the highest capacity monthly plan is as follows.

Mobile Broadband Plan—5 GB Monthly Allowance
Best for heavy users that:

* Need a frequent mobile connection
* Send or receive email with large attachments
* Download or upload large files such as photos
* Need frequent access to Web sites
* Download music occasionally

5 GB (5,120 MB)of data usage for Internet access* $59.99 monthly access

In checking the FoodTV web site the individual 21 minute shows do not have a file size and I did not (easily) find a way to download one because I am not a member.

Have you tried to download episodes and then watch them later which would eliminate the stutter from the buffering. Also as Chuck said you need to verify that streaming video is Ok with Verizon. You should also check to see how large each 21 minute episode really is.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I do have
5 GB (5,120 MB)of data usage for Internet access* $59.99 monthly access[/quote]
Im just trying to see food tvs little recipe videos about 2-4 min. This also happens when I am on u-tube or really anything i go to watch.

that speed test is for windows. so it wont work for me.

should i call verison?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
That speed test is *not* for Windows. I use it all the time. All the downloads on the side are Windows only, but the speed test is not.

Here is another speed test you can try: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
heres the speed info:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 543 kbps (67.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 219 kbps (27.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
67.9k is pretty slow. You need closer to 300 to get smooth video from most places (less for lower-quality video). In addition, you have to realize you're sharing that wireless connection with others, so you may have uneven access.

===

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Yikes, that's not much faster than dial-up!

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
So do contact version or is this as good as it gets?

Sometimes the people at version dont seem to know that much. You guys give me more info and I thank you for that.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You can call, but I suspect they'll tell you it is what it is.

Have you looked into satellite (I think DirecTV still does internet)? It is probably more expensive, but for what you are getting now you are really overpaying.

===

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Ill call and post what they say when I call.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
version cant do anything. they said you have to talk to mac friends to see if my internet settings are set to the best levels for the type of modem I have. Whats that mean????

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
It means you're stuck and they're clueless.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

Jack is correct, your wireless cell connection is what it is. There isn't much you can do about it. You have three choices..

1: Move closer to the city so you can have DSL or Cable

2: Put up with the speed of your cell connection

3: Wait and hope some better technology comes along.

Sorry, but that's just the price of living in the stix.

About the only other thing I can suggest is that perhaps there's a way to save the videos to your drive so you can watch them once their fully downloaded.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
do you know how i save them to my drive. It would be less frusting if I could do it that way.