Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Safari 5.1 creates problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari 5.1 creates problems
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
After installing Safari 5.1, I noticed the Speed Download and 1Password contextual menu entries have vanished. 1Password Preferences allow you to re-install the drop-down but still no contextual; Speed Download is simply gone.

The answer is to ditch the Safari 5.1 app, then reinstall the version 1.1 of MacOSXCombo10.6.8. That seems to put everything back where it belongs (the original 10.6.8Combo won't allow selection of drives that are good to go, thus the v1.1 update, I guess. ).

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
1Password uses a new plug-in instead of the old way of doing things (which Safari 5.1 doesn't support). The new plug in is much worse than the old add-on.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new plug in is much worse than the old add-on.

Fortunately, the folks at agilebits agree. They've stated on their forums that their goal is to provide identical functionality to the old plugin.

The version of the 1Password extension I have is 3.7.b2 (beta), and I'll willing to cut them some slack while they work on it.

Quite frankly, I like 1Password so much that I think I would have put off the Safari upgrade if I had known. (I'm still running 10.6.8, but with Safari 5.1)

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Steven,
Delete the Safari 5.1 and re-install 10.6.8 Combo to get Safari 5.05; the old 1Password functionality comes back Smile

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
This hint might be less painful than running the combo updater (esp. if you've run the 10.6.8 supplemental update).

While it's great they are going to give back all the features they took away, one wonders why they thought we didn't want them in the first place. I know they had to write the code over from scratch, but surely the logic of what to do was available.

In any case, I've come to rely on 1Password, and it's a shame they have dropped the ball so badly on this. I may consider dropping back to the older Safari as well, because right now their plug-in is just plain painful.

Additional: I did just drop back, and now I have a useful 1Password again. The other gains in 5.1 weren't worth the 1Password losses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I just did a few things that improved Safari 5.1 for me tremendously:
1. I uninstalled an extension that was supposed to preserve open windows and tabs through quitting & relaunching Safari. It never worked well in the best of times, and anyway that functionality is now built-in to Safari 5.1
2. I disabled all the extensions I wasn't actually using.
3. I updated the 1Password app.

This last bit made a big difference, and the reason is somewhat stupid.

I actually had 1Password working for a while, but then it stopped. Turns out the reason it stopped is that Safari auto-updated the 1Password extension, and the newer extension required a newer version of the app.

In any event, the current version of the extension and app have already brought back some features that were lost in the initial 5.1-compatible release. Oviously the folks at Agile are putting in the long hours needed to give us the 1Password experience we know and love.

FWIW, I've read elsewhere that the problem was caused by Apple's decision to drop support for webkit plugins. The old 1Password was implemented as a webkit plugin, but the new one is (obviously) an extension.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Steven,
When you use 1Password to login to sites on Safari 5.1 now, is it in a contextual drop-down (as before), or do you need to go to the top of the page and press the 1Password button?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
It's awful. You must press the button and get some eye candy that, at least now, is finding the sites (earlier version couldn't eve seem to do that for me). But often after you hit the site to log in, you still need to do the send, and then 1Password asks you if you want to save the password you just stuffed! It also does not give you a chance to put the saved passwords in a folder.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jack. I think I'll stick with Safari 5.0.5 for a while longer.

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
Actually, after updating to the latest version, I don't have to hit the button anymore, and Single-Keystroke Login works again.

Just make sure you're running that latest version of the extension AND the app.

As of this writing, the current version of the app is 3.7.0, and the current version of the extension is 3.7.b2.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I usually "right-click" in the "username" field, drop down the menu to iPassword and submit the info. How does your Single-keystroke Login work?

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arrakian:
How does your Single-keystroke Login work?

If you're viewing a login page, just press ⌘\ (command-slash) and you'll get logged in automatically.

If you want to log into a page that you're not currently viewing, press ⌥⌘\ (option-command-slash), and a small 1password window will pop up listing all of your logins. Just type a few letters of the website you want to log in to (like "ama" for "Amazon"), then press return. It will open the website in a new tab.

You can customize the keyboard shortcuts used by launching the 1Password app, then going to Preferences and clicking the "Logins" button.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622