Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Web page display URL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Web page display URL
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted
I’m relatively new to web design in. Please forgive me if my question is ‘basic’.

I'm using GoLive CS2 to design and upload web pages. I’d like to know if there is a way to keep the displayed URL in a browsers address bar constant, regardless of where the user navigates to in the site.

For example:

Let’s say the web site address is http://www.mysite.com. This would be the address shown in the browser’s address bar at all times, even if the user navigates to another page within the site. i.e. http://www.mysite.com/page_x.html

Is this possible to achieve using GoLive CS2? Or is it something handled at the server end by the hosting company?

I hope my question makes sense…

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Andrew

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to do this? This can be a security issue. People browsing should be able to see exactly where they are. Things like this have been used by scammers to fool people.

I know that is *not* your intention, but some browsers with anti-phishing tech in them might think otherwise. Unless you have a very good reason for doing this, I would avoid it.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Hi Jack, thanks for your response.

There certainly isn't any duplicity intended on my part; maybe I asked the wrong question.

To clarify: I am starting to promote downloadable content (typically e-books) for sale via the web.

When a customer has successfully paid for a product, they are led to a web page (ending in thank_you.html) where they can download the e-book.

What I want to avoid is the ability for that pages's URL to be accessed by people who have not paid for the e-book.

This may be handled by Clickbank.com (the merchant I'm using to process payments) but I don't think it is.

Maybe it's just a case of trusting people to 'do the right thing'...

Andrew Smile

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Your method won't stop this. All it takes is for someone to monitor the connection and see what's going on. You need to select a hosting service that provides for electronic transfers (usually it's done with a temporary - and random - url) or an e-commerce package that supports this, or write a lot of code yourself, in PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, etc. It may be possible with just HTML but I can't really see how myself.

Your payment gateway will probably have nothing to do with this.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post