Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Extending WiFi coverage at home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extending WiFi coverage at home
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
If I take an older DSL modem/router (that I used for internet connection) and plug it into a Gigabit switch that my newer DSL modem/router is feeding, will I be able to use it for extending the wireless area of my setup?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Generally the answer is yes, if.....

You must disable the DHCP server in the router you want to use as an access point. Then connect a LAN port on that router to your switch.

Depending on the make and model, there may be other setting changes required.

All the rules for securing wireless apply to the second router.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
The modem/router is a 2Wire model.

Are you saying that the second modem needs the DHCP turned off, not the main unit?

What if I just used the AirPort in the basement computer, extending Internet acces with that? I got a warning popup that doing so would change my network address.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post