Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    limit FLASH CPU use
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

limit FLASH CPU use
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I found this on the Dealmac Forum-is it helpful to anyone?
Reduce Flash CPU with ONE Simple Fix
Posted by: Shuh (IP Logged)
Date: May 21, 2010 06:05PM

I have one Flash-based music streaming site I just can't do without. And like all Flash-based abominations, the CPU meter pegs every time I open the page. But I recently found I can cut the CPU usage to a fraction with one simple trick! All you have to do is add another tab to your browser window! When I want to "background" whatever makes Flash such a CPU hog, I just click on the other tab and leave the focus there. My web-streaming music continues to play on and my processor gets a reprieve from Flash Hell!

I've done tests with Activity Monitor, and as far as I know this is the only way to throttle Flash back. To review:

• Changing focus to a completely different web page— doesn't do it.
• Changing focus to an entirely new application— doesn't do it.
• Only placing another tab in the Flash page's Safari window and then switching to that tab— will do it.

Hope someone somewhere has learned something useful!

Browser: Safari 4.0.5
OSX: 10.4.11
CPU: G4

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/21/10 06:07PM by Shuh

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
I usually keep the Tab bar open, and multiple tabs going. That's probably why I've never noticed a Flash CPU hit. This tip must work...

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Or upgrade to Flash Player 10.1 which was rewritten in Cocoa.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Was using a non-cocoa version the reason for the CPU hit?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Apple just recently allowed Adobe more access under the hood (GPU support for example) to leverage the hooks to make Flash faster, more stable and less CPU intensive. 10.1 is a huge improvement and 10.2 promises to be even better.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
And when will 10.2 see the light? Smile

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
After 10.1 and before 10.3 Wink

----

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Those damn confidentiality clauses! Smile

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
A good read about the performance gains in 10.1 here.

----