Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Browsers for PC other than IE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browsers for PC other than IE
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends,

No, am NOT going to the dark side! In the process of working with the developer of my web site makeover, we've encountered the IE heebie-jeebies for PC's. Apparently IE is notorious for sloppy compliance with w3 standards.

The developer has worked out the kinks, but is there a different browser that works well for pc's? I looked at the Firefox/Mozilla site, but it keeps defaulting to the Mac version since I'm on a Mac. - Trying to find out if they produce a PC browser.

Or are there others? Would like to recommend something up-to-date to family & friends.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Yes, Firefox produces a PC browser. They are the #2 browser after IE.

You can also look at Opera, but Firefox is usually the choice of people avoiding IE.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Firefox is definitely available for the Windows platform.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
On one page fetched by http://getfirefox.com, there is a tiny link beneath the big button that says, "Other Systems and Languages" that takes you to
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html. On another, there is an explicit link for Windows.

Firefox v3 is my browser of choice for both Mac OS X and Windows (and Linux, if I ever run it).

I even use the same FireFox profile files on Windows as on Mac. I have only used Safari to check that it works at all. I only use IE to get Windows updates.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks ever so much everyone. VERY helpful.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Also don't forget that Safari is also available for Windows. Safari continues to gain in market share too.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post