Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Looking for a good offsite backup solution
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good offsite backup solution
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted
I've recently adopted a "paperless office" approach to dealing with documents. All of my utility bills, mortgage statements, insurance documents, etc. get saved as PDF files on my hard drive.

I currently have two local backups:
• Daily SuperDuper clone to an external USB hard drive
• Time Machine backups to my Time Capsule

I'd like to add an offsite backup. That could be an online backup service like Mozy, Carbonite, etc., or some solution that involves storing files offsite.

I prefer an online backup, because that's automatic. And experience has shown that any backup solution that requires manual intervention is less likely to actually be used on a regular basis.

I like Backblaze because it's cheap and easy, but if you delete a file from your hard drive, it also get deleted from your Backblaze backup after 30 days.

What happens if I don't discover that a file is missing until a few months have passed?

Consider my 2011 tax return, which is saved as a PDF file. I probably won't need to access that file until I start preparing my 2012 return. If I accidentally delete that file tomorrow, then it will disappear from my BackBlaze backup in 30 days, and by the time I discover it's missing, it will be too late to recover it.

So, Backblaze isn't the solution for me, but I'm not sure what is the best option. I don't need versioning backup, just a backup that keeps the latest version of all my files.

For this purpose, price is more important that a pretty interface.

Any suggestions?

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I still prefer Crash Plan. My review is here.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
I still prefer Crash Plan. My review is here.

Terry:

Crashplan isn't available as a native Mac app — only as a Java app. When I upgraded to Lion, I decided at that point to not install Java, and the subsequent Flashback attack only reinforced by anti-Java bias. (But I am willing to install it if I can't find an online backup service I prefer over Crashplan.)

Comments seem to be turned off on your Crashplan review page, so I'd like to ask a question here about something you wrote there:
quote:
I did limit the bandwidth that it uses AND I set it to only run at night while I was sleeping…

Why did you do both of those things? If it's only running when you're asleep, why limit the bandwidth?

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Not advocating a certain plan, but a cousin who has a financial advice firm in a western state told me they decided on Mozy.com. Her husband vetted the service quite thoroughly, as their client records would be involved.
HOWEVER, I'm certain they are pc folks, not Mac.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post