Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    quicktime streaming settings help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

quicktime streaming settings help
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
i have a verizon usb720 that i connect to my macbook. When i watch movies it starts and stops and is irritating. in my system preferences in quicktime my streaming speed is set at automatic. Should it be set to 56 kbps modem/isdn? i don't care if the movies are smaller in size I just want to watch without stop & going. Will this help?
If not any other suggestions.
Thanks Kelly

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Well, you may never get to watch video without it starting and stopping, since you are on the cell network. Are you sure you are watching via QuickTime and not Flash? Because changing settings in QT won't help with Flash.

If you go to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and click on "Chicago" for a test, what speeds do you see?

The movies won't be smaller unless you have the option at the web site to select a smaller version. Changing the speed in QT will not affect the picture size.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
where do I find out if its flash or quicktime. In system preferences somewhere? anything to help a little.

my speeds suck .63 down and .20 up.

Its the only connection I can get where i live. No cable.

Thanks for letting me know its just the way it is.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
If you right click on the video on the page it should tell whether or not it's playing in Flash Player or not.

quote:
Originally posted by poobelly:
where do I find out if its flash or quicktime. In system preferences somewhere? anything to help a little.

my speeds suck .63 down and .20 up.

Its the only connection I can get where i live. No cable.

Thanks for letting me know its just the way it is.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You might look into satellite - it used to be pretty expensive but I think it's come down quite a bit. DirecTV had it semi-resonably priced at one point.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post