Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    YouTube Capture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YouTube Capture
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
posted
Is there a good, reliable way to capture YouTube videos?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Brian,
1. I followed this tip, posted on our iBBS a while back...
Easily Download YouTube movies via Safari
If you're using Safari, there's an easy way to download YouTube videos. Open the page with the movie and press Command-Option-A, which shows the Activity window. If you're also loading other sites, you'll see a list of them: scroll until you find the YouTube page and click on the arrow to show details about what is being loaded.

You will certainly notice an element whose size is over 0.5MB (most of the time, over 5MB). Double-click on it (even if it is still loading), and Safari will download it. When the download is over, navigate to the file in the Finder (which will probably be called get_video) and add the extension .flv to its name. Now you can play it with VLC or with QuickTime (only if you have Perian installed).

2. And worked thru any conflict I had here....
Can you download a YouTube video

3. Now, with no conflicts, and Perian installed, I go to the Activity pane, download the loading file.
Change the extension. Open with Quicktime.
HTH

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chita.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
If you don't want your files to stay .flv, get TubeSock. it converts after download to other file types, and can be stored as a link in the Bookmark Bar for easy use.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I haven't felt the need to save a YouTube video lately, and and the past I had always used the method Chita outlined above. Today, however, I wanted to save such a video, and I found that by double-clicking on the file name in Safari's Activity window only opens the video in a new Safari window without the other YouTube images and HTML. I tried right-clicking on the video to no avail, and I have Perian 1.2.1 installed.

Now what?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Never mind. The correct keystroke is Option double-click on the file name in Safari's Activity window.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
If you're using Firefox, the "Video Download Helper" add-on works nicely for d/l's from YouTube.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
I do as Chuck stated, but convert to .mov with MPEG Streamclip.

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned ClickToFlash.

In theory, it's just a Flash Blocker, but it has a great feature that lets you view and download YouTube videos in H.264 format, instead of Flash.

You can save them as QuickTime .mov files.

I demonstrated this feature at one of the meetings. I'm a huge fan. I also like that Adobe Flash content doesn't load unless I want it to.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Steven Klein:

How do you download files that don't have an h.264 version with ClickToFlash?

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
I haven't found any such files. So far as I know, YouTube's entire library is available in H.264 format.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
I find about half the stuff I look at is *not* in H.264 (at least, ClickToFlash can't find one). So I don't think the entire library is encoded H.264.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Most of what I see CTF get is the 360p stuff. Most 480p is usually in .flv.