Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Safari 4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari 4
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
AIM: Online Status For ChrisMehling123
posted
Any one testing Safari 4?

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
3.1.1 is the latest version of safari that is out. Is 4.0 a beta that is only available to certain people for testing purposes?

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It's an open beta available here.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
quote:
?

I guess I'm a little confused since this is not on Apple's site. Is this official or the open source version of the browser Safari is based on?

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
WebKit is open source and is the Safari browser code for the most part. I'm not sure what, if anything, Apple changes other than the name.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one finding the "Top Sites" and "Cover Flow" features of Safari 4 to be pretty useless?

I'm a visual person, but I can't really say that these two features help me at all!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
I have not found a use for them either.

quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
Am I the only one finding the "Top Sites" and "Cover Flow" features of Safari 4 to be pretty useless?

I'm a visual person, but I can't really say that these two features help me at all!

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I really don't like cover flow. I'd much rather see an alphabetical list any day, which I can rapidly scan. The pictures are just eye candy.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post

from MacRumors :

quote:
CNet benchmarked Safari 4's Javascript and found it to be 42x faster than IE 7, 6x faster than IE 8 and the fastest compared to any browser:

Javascript is a key scripting language that is heavily used in interactive websites such as GMail and MobileMe.

We previously discussed the inclusion of CSS Animation into Webkit and its long term implications. Well, the latest Safari 4 beta incorporates these new features which allows you to view these impressive demos that use CSS/Javascript (Safari 4 or comparable browser required):

Safari 4 Hidden Preferences - how to move the tabs back to the bottom, restore the blue loading bar, turn off URL autocompletion, Google Suggest and more. (Original site is down - content copied here.)

1Password - How to get 1Password to work in Safari 4.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Cover Flow is useless for me, but I use Top Sites all the time.

===

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I don't mind top sites (although I don't use it a lot), but find cover flow isn't too helpful. My husband, who hasn't mastered bookmarks, finds top sites very helpful.

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm using it wrong, I just don't see where it helps. When I ask for a new window/tab, Top Sites comes up by default (yes, I know I can turn that off). It shows 12 sites (I guess the top ones that I visit). Rarely am I opening a new window to go to one of these sites, because chances are these sites are already open in my tabs. Also since Top sites is always changing (unless you pin sites to it), it's always a surprise to see what's there when I open it.

When I launch Safari for the first time after a restart, I hit one button called "Daily" and it loads (in tabs) all the sites that are my "top sites". I keep this one window open with all those tabs all day long. If I need to go to a different site I either open a new window or new tab and visit that site.

What am I missing? How are you finding this useful?

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
Cover Flow is useless for me, but I use Top Sites all the time.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
A quick and easy GUI solution to tweaking many of Safari 4 behaviors is Swoon dot net's Safari 4 Buddy.
Also available via VersionTracker.com and MacUpdate.com.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted Hide Post
Safari 4 didn't work for me. I kept getting the window were it asks to coordinate with Keychain and then the spinning beachball goes on and on slowing the whole Mac down.

I have removed it for now. I suppose some other program or plugin is getting in the way. I have the same problem every time I try to update to the latest Adium IM software.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post