Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Hooking up to DSL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hooking up to DSL
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted
I'm not sure this is the proper subject matter for the Internet SIG but if it isn't I sure they will let me know.
Currently I have cable service through Brighthouse and their offering is with Earthlink. I have found that the speed is really slow and I can get AT&T DSL for a fraction of the price and at a considerable increase in speed. So here's the problem: I have a new Time Capsule and a new 2 wire DSL modem which was furnished by AT&T and I'm hoping this combination is compatible. So far I've set up the Time Capsule and the new network and my MBP running Leopard sees the Time Capsule. The CD that AT&T provides seems to not approve of my Router (Time Capsule). A few pointers are invited at this time.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
George,

Any time Capsule or Airport Extreme should be compatible with the ATT 2wire DSL Modem. No vendor software other than Apple should be required. In fact, only Apple software is useable for configuring a Time Capsule. (This all assumes that the 2wire device is just a modem and not a modem+router.)

For example, if the 2wire device is 2071, the Ethernet side connects to the WAN port of the Airport Time Capsule. Use the username and password given by ATT for 2701 setup (directly connected to the computer) and then switch to DMZPlus mode to connect the Time Capsule.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Just wondering: Is the Time Capsule your storage backup drive that is set up for wireless access?

Is it possible that it could be accessed directly through the 2Wire without an additional router?

I don't have a setup like this (extra Airport Extreme or router), and I can access wirelessly any & all printers and backup drives via my desktop Mac, to which the 2Wire is attached. However the Mac has to be turned on. The 2Wire is both modem AND wireless router.

Have done this from my new MacBook Pro, and my husband's iBook. Even connected to an OLD ClubMac backup drive connected to the desktop Mac.

I'm not yet, however, using the Time Capsule automatic backup feature from the MBPro. So maybe it has special requirements.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
George: You may have connected two routers in series, which can only work as a special configuration in the wired domain. The dual inline WiFi domains might interfere with each other at worst, even if configured to have different addresses, SSID's, etc. As you can see in the picture below, most of the 2Wire® model 2071 "modems" are combination modem-WiFi-routers.

You don't say in your note which 2Wire® modem-router you own or which Time Capsule you own. That's important, as you can see from the chart extracted from 2Wire's website below. I think the chart is misleading also, because 2Wire® combos also have 802.11a/b output, and may even offer 802.11n output. There are also other 2Wire® models supplied by cable companies, like the 3800 series. Most 2Wire's are combo modem-routers.

You may need to eliminate one or the other WiFi routers, physically, or at least electronically (i.e., turn off the Time Capsule's router and WiFi capabilities and only use the external backup hard drive).

Why don't you conduct a simple test. Eliminate the Time Capsule entirely, and see if throughput increases. If throughput increases, you can try different router configurations with the Time Capsule installed in the setup. You'll need to manually configure the two routers in series (i.e., don't use the CD).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies & gentlemen for your comments. I was concerned that the "2 wire" would not work with my system because I went from modem to ethernet port and tried to use the supplied software to set up the proper hookup. Update: Ended up calling tech support for AT&T and he walked me through the process of getting registered and configured for DSL. For the record- If anyone is interested in the DSL option the new modem has MAC labeled on the bottom of it. The new modem does not even resemble the pictures Chuck posted and the configuration is completely different. It's a Mortorola modem about the size of a deck of cards and has a low profile with a series of lights to tell you what's happening. With regards to the AT&T tech support, it was excellent because he was very patient with me and was Mac savvy, which was a plus. So far so good, now for the challenge of tying it to the Time Capsule. To be continued I'm sure Smile

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear everything is OK.

A Motorola modem is very different than the 2Wire® modem-router you mentioned in your original post.

You may actually have AT&T DSL service, in which case 2Wire® is one of the modem options they offer. AT&T DSL is different than AT&T Uverse service, where I suspect that's all you can get - a 2Wire® modem. Uverse is a premium service, and is partly fiberoptic (long haul), partly DSL (short haul, local) from the switch.

I'm not sure what you mean by "MAC labeled on the bottom of it". Is that short for Macintosh, or short for Media Access Control ADDRESS. It probably means the latter thing.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Sorry Chuck- I don't know for sure what the MAC really means, I just assumed it meant Macintosh but you know what happens when you assume something.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
In common with many network devices, the Media Access Control, MAC, address is on the label.

An Ethernet address, for example 00:23:df:a8:08:72, is a MAC address. Network Preferences shows an Airport ID, like 00:24:36:f0:02:3a, which is also a MAC address.

This works because 'Media' refers to the wire or radio path where each device has an address just for use on that particular media segment. AppleTalk, NetBUI, and TCP/IP are all networking protocols which share the media using the MAC address to get to the right device. Ethernet switch like the NetGear GS608 use MAC addresses to send traffic to the right destination ports.

The two most common uses, besides whatever ATT does, is for access control on wireless connections and to force DHCP to provide a particular IP address reserved by MAC address. Some cable and DSL providers remember the connected MAC address, preventing rapid changes in connected systems.

Students may look up DHCP and ARP. Class dismissed. There will be a short quiz on April 19.

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Students may look up DHCP and ARP. Class dismissed. There will be a short quiz on April 19.

Yo Teach,

ARP - Address Resolution Protocol

DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

Can I get extra credit now?

What did you say Horshack? - "Up your nose with a rubber hose" Big Grin

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1725 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Well done, that man!

For extra credit, explain DHCP reservations comparing and contrasting 'by MAC Address' and 'by Client ID'. Five extra points for screen shots of setup pages. Five more points for explaining how to set the Client ID under Mac OS X.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Okay, back to my problem: Got Time Capsule up and running and it smokin (figuratively). Way better speed than the Airport Extreme and Earthlink Cable I'm used to using. Two wireless machines work great and I can print to my Canon printer, which is hard wired Ethernet. The real problem is my HP LaserWriter 2100 that is hooked up Ethernet and it won't communicate with my two wireless laptops. It will work with my one G5 PPC that is hard wired. Mr. Cutler, I guess I dropped your PM when I went from Earthlink To ATT because I didn't get an answer to my questions. My new Address is georgelittle at mac dot com.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Are the laptops connecting to the Airport or to the Motorola? Can they see the printer? Can they see each other?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
The laptops are connected via wireless> Time Capsule. Can they see the Printer? I think the answer would be maybe. I say that because the message I get in the print dialog box is "Unable to connect" Can they "See each other" I guess I'm not understanding that part Mr. B. Sorry. I do know that the Canon and the HP are both plugged into the Ethernet "Switch" as before and they both worked on the old Airport Extreme.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The printers may be configured for the old network (192.168.x.x, maybe) -- the default for the Airport Extreme is 10.x.x.x. Look at your Network Preferences and see what one of your addresses is. Then, print a status page from the printer to see what address it is using.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
If they were on the wrong network, the wired system wouldn't be able to print.

If these printers were already listed on the laptops before you reconfigured, delete them and then re-add them in the Printers Preference pane.

By "see each other" I mean do they laptops show up in the Finder sidebar of other systems on your LAN.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Little:
The laptops are connected via wireless> Time Capsule. Can they see the Printer? I think the answer would be maybe. I say that because the message I get in the print dialog box is "Unable to connect" Can they "See each other" I guess I'm not understanding that part Mr. B. Sorry. I do know that the Canon and the HP are both plugged into the Ethernet "Switch" as before and they both worked on the old Airport Extreme.

If both printers are plugged into the same ethernet switch, have you tried unplugging & replugging the ethernet cable? I used to have to do that occasionally with a previous switch when things got a bit dorky. Usually solved the problem. If there are extra ports, try unplugging the "missing" printer & plugging into a different port to see if it shows up. Maybe even "wiggle" the connector. Sometimes you just have to jostle things a bit.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Okay Mr. B and Mr. Cutler- You were both sending me in the correct direction. Deleted the printer from both laptops and added them back in using the address I got after printing out the configuration page on the printer. Just like magic they both work via wireless and the hard wired PPC works perfectly also. Now for my next challenge, which I haven't mastered yet- getting the HP printer to print when I'm in Boot Camp with Windows XP. This I never have gotten to work. You two guys deserve your title of genius.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
George,

In the Windows Printers and Faxes control panel, click on Add printer.
Select Local Printer, Next
Next
Select Create a new port, Standard TCP/IP Port, Next
Next
Enter the IP address for the 2100, whatever name you want, Next
The HP should be detected, if not use Generic Network Card, Next
Finish
Manufacturer: HP, Printers: HP LaserJet 2100 Series PS, Next
Select Do not share this printer, Next
Yes print a test page, Next
Finish
(wait for print)
OK

Fine tuning of properties and defaults are another discussion.

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Cutler,

No screen shots of the Windows panels. Slacker.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1725 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Calvin,

More than a dozen required - too many for this thread. Besides, almost every Windows system looks different from almost every other Windows system!

Oh, and your signature takes up too much screen space, translate it to Navajo.