Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Web Page I Wish I Could View
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Web Page I Wish I Could View
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I just received a link to
http://unz.org/
which features (among other things) back issues of magazines. I'm especially interested in old magazines which have long gone out of print, such as The American Spectator, which featured plays by Eugene O'Neill.

Unfortunately, when I try clicking on the link to an article I'd like to see, I get only the page header and a large black box with the QuickTime logo with a big ? superimposed over it. (Surely you've seen this "broken" QuickTime icon yourself at times.)

I've seen this happen before, and my work-around is to right click on the link and download the file (usually a PDF).

In this case, however, the only thing which gets downloaded is a ±50KB .html file which is nothing but a link to the original page, although it now appears only in a garbled form.

I have tried viewing these magazine articles (which I assume are all in PDF form) in Safari 5.1.2, Camino 2.1, Opera 11, and SeaMonkey 2.6.1, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Keith, I just tried a few of them and had no problem with Safari 5.1.2 on my iMac. Try going in from a different user account and see if that makes a difference.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Just tried with Safari on my iPad and they open there without a problem, too.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
You're right Phyllis. In a test account, I can view the pages. Although I'm still unable to download and save a PDF of a page or article simply by clicking on it.

So, what is wrong with my regular Administrator account that neither Safari nor any other browser will display the file within the browser?

How do I fix this?

Before I saw your reply, I used Jack B.'s trick of finding the PDF file in the list in Safari's Activity window, then Option+double-clicking on that to download the PDF file, but that's a painful way to simply save a file.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
That has to be the weirdest set up I've run across in a long time. The pages seem to be coded to show the PDFs in their own viewer. The only way I could get the actual PDF to download was to open it in their viewer, then right click to either open it in a new window or download it to the desktop, but it had to be from within their viewer.

As to the problem with your admin account, there must be something that is overriding the standard settings. If it worked at one time, try to figure out what has been installed in the intervening time.

—P M Evans

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I visited the State of Michigan website where I knew there'd be a trove of PDFs to view, and Safari displays all of them without a problem. The UNZ site is the first time I've had this difficulty. As I mentioned, when the page loads, the PDF loads with it, and I can find it in the Activity window of Safari.

As to what's wrong with my administrator's account, the only new software (other than numerous updates) that I've installed in the past five years has been Final Cut Express.

If I reset Safari, that'll delete all my cookies, won't it? I don't think I want to do that.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Safari reset doesn't automatically dump everything. They changed it a while back so that you can reset only parts of it. Before tackling that, I'd try dumping the cache files. That seems to fix a lot of wonky behavior.

—P M Evans

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I reset Safari, but that had no effect. Now, as before, clicking on a link to a page on the UNZ site results in the broken Quicktime ? symbol. I should've also mentioned that the following error message pops up, too:

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
When is the last time you "Repaired Permissions"?

Shutdown ALL programs.

Repair Permissions and Restart your Mac.

Do both steps again...........

Do both steps a third time. Repair and restart.

Also you might check to see what program is trying to run when you double click on a PDF. The last time I looked it should not be QuickTime.

Let us know.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I had earlier repaired Permissions using OnyX 2.2.8, which is supposed to do a better job than Disk Utility (I can't say whether this is true or not), but it made no difference. I also ran some of the other functions of OnyX, all to no avail.

As I mentioned in an above post, the PDF files at the State of Michigan web site (if you seek PDFs, that's the place for you) open fine in Safari.

Thanx to all for your suggestions.

One good thing to come of this is that I realized that the Opera browser was useless, and so I trashed it, freeing-up storage space.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Because they're easier to read in Preview, I've been downloading the magazines pages from the unz.org site, but it's inconvenient. Seeing the PDFs in the browser does allow me to decide whether I want to save the article or not.

I'm still puzzled about what is wrong with my Administrator's account that won't let me view the PDF file in Safari (or any other browser), when I can view them in a test account.