Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Capture Flash .swf and .flv
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capture Flash .swf and .flv
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Does anyone know of a Free plugin for Safari or Firefox that will allow me capture and save Flash .swf and .flv files. There are many online tutorials that I'd love to save, and watch them in the future. I would prefer saving them to my hard drive and use Flash Player to view them, rather than just bookmarking the site page. Though I've done some searching, I can't seem to find a Free solution that works.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Safari doesn't support any plug-ins. Programs claiming to be are really Input Managers, which can be a huge security risk and performance problem. They also tend to be the root cause of program and system instabilities. Apple is phasing out Input Managers.

That said, there are quire a few programs that will let you capture these videos. One I've used is TubeTV.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack,

I gave it all a shot. Unless I did something wrong in the process, it didn't work - at least for the file that I was trying to grab/save.

http://www.layersmagazine.com/masking-hair-in-photoshop-cs3.html

It's an excellent tutorial on Layers Magazine. Perhaps, they have it blocked. Though TubeTV worked, along with Perian, it only captured a welcome file. I couldn't manage to save the file that I actually wanted to save.

I'm not sure where to go from here, though I'll keep looking for a solution, as I'd love to retain and save a few of these - that or bookmark them, and keep watching them numerous times until it sinks in.

BTW. This particular tutorial was lengthy - over 21 minutes.

Thanks for your help,

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

I got the flv to download for me using a technique one of the women on this forum explained. Sorry, I can't remember enough to ID her and give her credit. Thank you anyway where ever you are. Here is how it works.

Once you have the page up in your Safari browser,
Go up into the WINDOW and select ACTIVITY.
Doing that will bring up the ACTIVITY window which show every file Safari is accessing divided up by web page.
It might take some searching but you will find the actual individual address of the flv itself.
Just click on it and it will download the file (which happens in this case) or open it in a new Safari window where you can do SAVE AS.

Also the latest Real Player (http://www.real.com/mac/realplayer) when installed offers RealPlayer Downloader which can run off to the side in the dock. It makes a list of all the flvs I come across surfing on Youtube and many News websites(worked on Adobe Air website too. It offers the option of downloading those. It did not work on the LAYERS tutorials or a Washington Post Editorial cartoonist who uses Flash to animate her toons. I think they are clever but its probably cause I agree with her politics mostly.

Oh and thanks, I didn't realize LAYERS mag had such nice tutorials.
That's it I think.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kirk,

I remember this Safari approach too, from a previous posting (I can't remember who posted it either).

I tried it again, and was able to download the .flv file, easily. In the past, I was never able to actually view the .flv in QuickTime. This time I was able to open and view the .flv in QuickTime, because I had downloaded and installed Perian in the process of installing TubeTV. I can also view it in the standalone Flash Player.

With Perian installed, I can not only view the .flv movie, but I can also Save it as a QuickTime .mov, and even export to other formats (QT Pro needed for some of it). Here's the Perian link, if anyone else needs it. http://perian.org/

Jack - Thanks for the Perian info. With Perian and Kirk's Safari info, I can now easily download, view and even convert the .flv movies. Works flawlessly and easily.

And, a big thanks to Layers Magazine for all of these great tutorials. And, there are tons of them.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Correction to my previous post. I can NOT view the downloaded .flv movie in the standalone Flash Player, though I tried numerous times. So, Perian for QuickTime is the only real solution - and, it works great.

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
Nope, RealPlayer will let you view the flv
http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering what using Flip4Mac and Perian at the same tome will do cause I'm trying that now.

Actually it was Flip4Mac that does something to quicktime to let it play WMV files plus others and I don'y know where they overlap yet.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I downloaded/upgraded Real Player, and it does play .flv movies. However, there isn't any conversion or save as options that I saw. I'll hang onto it for the future. But, QuickTime Pro has much more flexibility. Not only can I view the .flv movies, but also convert them to other formats.

I took a look at Flip4Mac, but didn't try it. I already have all that I need in QuickTime Pro, with Perian - and, don't want to take a chance of messing with what is working now.

I've been spending this rainy day, going thru the tutorials on Layers Magazine. Great stuff.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
YouGuys... Smile
YouTubeCapture
and how quickly you forget,
the article in last months newsletter....Tubed.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chita,

I don't know about Kirk, but the only excuses that I have is getting older and probably a saturated brain. LOL.

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHunter:
YouGuys... Smile
YouTubeCapture
and how quickly you forget,
the article in last months newsletter....Tubed.

Chita,

You are one of the outstanding contributors to this forum and I'm remembering a different source. The story I'm telling myself is that I think Donna or Phyllis E. mentioned something about the activity monitor trick about a year ago.

So anyway it bugged me so I went through my old posts and sure enough I found where Donna did write about the Activity monitor so that is where I first learned about that.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Kirk,
I wasn't saying it was me directly...I was directing to a source.
I was insinuating that a little hunting and pecking will
bring up much repeated helpful advice in this forum
from it's many helpful participants. Heaven knows, I do it all the time. Smile

And Mike,
I'll take the saturated brain excuse.
At this stage of our lives, we have so much more to remember... Smile

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Chita,

Thanks. There really is so much to remember, and learn (it never stops). Software and operating systems are constantly updating and growing. Every time there's an update, it's back to the books. In my particular case, I had been doing everything traditionally for about the first 20 years or so of my career. It was all paint, markers, layouts by hand, specing type, etc. It was just a simple matter of honing acquired skills. Then, came the computers. No choice but to learn it and adapt, or go out of business. The constant learning has never stopped. But, I actually love it, as I can do more than I could ever do before. It was definitely a shot in the arm for me. But, my brain does get saturated at times - especially when lots of things are happening at the same time.

I'll certainly make a point in the future, to do some searches on the forum before starting new discussions. If I can remember to do so. Smile

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see what you were getting at. Sometimes I need to be hit over the head with a 2x4 to get insinuations and such. Other times I make up stuff that isn't even there. I did both here.

As I believe Mike is referring to, I'll claim information overload as part of my excuse.
I got a couple more but I won't bore you with them here. Plus, sometimes I just want to be seen and heard.

However, I do often google for my computer problems before asking just so you know.
Yours is a good reminder to be more self reliant. I'll be more mindful. THANKs