Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Internet SIG    Spoofed Email
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spoofed Email
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
My mother's email address appears to have been spoofed because she is receiving a multitude of "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" messages that were sent to addressees that have no relationship to her. I've done a little reading on this topic and it doesn't seem like there is anything that can be done to prevent this, but I figured I'd ask the experts for advice anyway.

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Stock Spammer Modus Operandi

1. Harvest target email addresses
2. Use infected user machines to send Spam from some arbitrary address.

It is especially common for step 2 to happen on Windows machines using the machine owner's email address as source.

And no, there is really nothing that can be done except to make certain that the victim's machine (and all web lists) are clean and secure.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
There's nothing to be done about it. As you said, someone spoofed the address, so you have no control over that.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
I think the spoofers/phishers are out in droves. Is it the holiday season?
- A couple of friends (non-MG people) had the problem.
Don't know how to prevent people from getting your list. But ALWAYS be vigilant with received emails. Recently had one supposedly from a trusted, known friend in Chicago. BUT it wasn't at all typical of this person, and had a suspicious link. I forwarded it to the friend at 2 of his email addresses. He replied - it WAS a faulty email. Said one of his lists had been taken.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
It's not good for her because it is her business email address. I've contacted the hosting company and they made some modifications to her account and the rejected emails have subsided. I suspect that they are just filtering out the email before it gets to back to her.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Brian

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post