Find
Notify
Tools

HD - DVR box
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
I have the Comcast HD-DVR box hooked up to my Philips LCD in our Great Room and was wondering how to avoid paying the $13 a month rental fee. Can I just buy this box someplace???

If I can purchase it someplace, I would probably get two and upgrade the box in our bedroom. My wife loves HGTV in HD Roll Eyes

Does anyone know if Comcast cripples their boxes or has an additional chip to work with their network?

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You need an HD cable box that accepts CableCards. This will allow authorization. I seem to recall seeing some a while back, but I don't remember where.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
HD cable box that accepts CableCards

Dave,

He is some info I stumbled across.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/cable/cablecard.html

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1728 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted Hide Post
Dave, I asked a similar question a bit earlier than you in this topic. My research indicates that it is very difficult to avoid the monthly DVR charge from Comcast or other services. Tho legally they are required to supply you with a Cablecard, they dont make it convenient or widely known. Those DVR's make a lot of profit for them, so they have no incentive to supply Cablecards. Tivo used to (maybe still does) offer a one time fee of $250 or so to buy the DVR instead of a monthly fee.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post