Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Blu-ray getting closer to winning
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blu-ray getting closer to winning
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted
The war between HD DVD and Blu-ray is not over but there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Warner Bros. Studio has official declared that after May 2008, they will stop releasing movies in both formats and only ship movies in Blu-ray. This is very good news. There needs to be an end to this format war so that consumers can finally get on the HD bandwagon and hopefully with higher sales...bring down the price of the movie disks ( and Blu-ray players ).

This latest move with give Blu-ray with the backing of 5 major studios and HD DVD only 2.

I haven't bought a HD player yet but with this news, I think this will be the year of finally enjoying HD content at home.

Plus it appears that Apple will finally announce products with Blu-ray support at this months Macworld Expo

This latest defection by Warner Bros. Studio has caused the HD DVD Promotional Group to cancel their Consumer Electronic Show press conference

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
It might be too late for the hi-def DVD formats. It looks like Netflix and at least a half dozen other companies will be delivering movies by Internet. That's only counting "full resolution" movies - not the highly compressed movies Apple is going to be delivering.

That poses another problem - U.S. Internet infrastructure can't handle the extra load.

So ... maybe ... hi-def will be relgated to storage media, or maybe they'll serve as a backup to Internet delivery?

I think Hollywood and the DVD Forums saw the trend and had to make a decision, or lose business altogether.

Blu-ray drives will still be a little pricey for a few months.

Will anyone deliver a working Blu-ray jukebox at consumer prices? That's a good project for Adobe Wink , so their customers can have hardware to support Lightroom. If Lightroom is going to be a nascent digital asset management (DAM) solution, it should at least be integrated with an archival storage solution.

Hard drives and RAID's aren't archival. They're fast, but certainly not archival, with only a 5 year lifespan.

People have too much stuff. Where are people going to put their stuff? This is the Age of Lost Media.

Here's an interesting comment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I am okay with buying music through downloading but I still would prefer having the original disk for movies ( at least for now )

I would think in the near future that there will be blow out sales of HD-DVD players and movies ( good way to add HD-DVD movies for anyone who already owns a HD-DVD player )

It will be interesting to see what "new" announcements come out of CES 2008 this coming week concerning Blu-ray and HD-DVD......

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Maybe next Christmas we'll see blow-out sales on Blu-ray? Maybe mid-year blow-out sales on HD-DVD?

There ought to be a blow-out sale. HD-DVD is a 2.5 generation product. Blu-ray is a 3rd generation product. 5th generation DVD's are now available on the market. Consumers really lost this war - not HD-DVD Forum members. HD-DVD will be dumping obsolete equipment.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

what are "5th generation DVD's"?

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Toshiba has already been getting pretty aggressive with blow out prices of $99 for HD-DVD players. I picked one up just to be able to play both formats (I already had Blu-ray). I still think Blu-ray will be the ultimate format, but right now I don't really care because I can play both.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Toshiba is still offering those $99 deals but they probably will have to start offering them soon again to spur sales. You ( Terry ) are siting good with both systems as you outlined in your Blog ( "Blu-ray vs HD DVD, why pick sides" ). If the HD-DVD consortium does capitulate some time this year....I would imagine that you will be able to pick up more HD-DVD movies at a discount

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
1st gen = DVD±?/? & DVD-ROM
2nd gen = D.I.Y. Dual Layer
3rd gen = hi def DVD
4th gen = holographic recording technology
5th gen = 3D (vertical) recording technology

A Sign of the Times?
A friend just called me about what kind of DVD stuff to buy, and I recommended a couple things to him. Unfortunately, none of it is available in Internet stores. 4 weeks ago, there was a profuse amount of DVD stuff available. I think the DVD retailers were QUIETLY notified to clear their wares for Christmas - probably in anticipation of imminent Blu-ray availability.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I've priced the holographic stuff. It is not anywhere affordable unless your are Turner Broadcasting or the like. What kind of pricing is available today for 5G?

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Well, apparently you can turn the Paramount piece of the piechart blue.

Report: Paramount poised to dump HD DVD for superior Blu-ray

The DVD situation was highly rigged over the last month, because just about everybody's blown out their DVD players and recorders VERY QUIETLY. They had advance knowledge of Blu-ray's dominance. LaCie had some DVD's leftover yesterday, but Meritline is sold out. Phillips reorganized its DVD business a couple months ago. Most major DVD manufacturers haven't offered new product over the last year.

I wonder when DVD media will become hard to find? Burnable DVD disk selection will probably become much narrower.

Jim: the lowest cost Blu-ray drives are still $200, and some are still in the $1000 price range. It's safe to say that any low production DVD technology is pricey. It will take a while for prices to fall. I wonder if firmware quality will be any better than the old DVD firmware quality?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
Well, apparently you can turn the Paramount piece of the piechart blue.

Yaaaayyyy!!!!!!

I was glad to see so many corporations on the Blu-Ray side when the Hi-Def disc thing began. Good to see the format war finally on it's death bed.

I may break down and get a PS3!

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Toshiba is not giving up yet as they are still advertising on TV. ( trying to unload the rest of their produced units ). I caught one of their commercials the other day.

But HD-DVD players are dropping in price.
Here is the Toshiba HD-A3 720/1080i players for $139.98 plus 5 free HD-DVD movies

Tempting offer just to get started before the Blu-ray tidal wave rolls them over Big Grin

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Here is your chance to win a HD player and 100 movies from Amazon.....

win a Blu-ray player and 100 movies

win a HD-DVD player and 100 movies

Sweepstakes, beginning at 12:00:01 a.m. PT on January 14, 2008 and ending at 11:59:59 p.m. PT on February 12, 2008

good luck..... Big Grin

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I hope this trend continues and puts HD-DVD out to "dead format" pasture.....
Blu-ray Pummels HD-DVD in Disc Sales

..."Home Media Magazine reports that Blu-ray last week captured 85 percent of high-def disc sales compared to HD DVD's 15 percent"...

..."Even worse for HD DVD, Home Media Magazine writes that the top 10 high-def disc sellers were all Blu-ray. The best-selling HD DVD, The Kingdom, sold just 10 percent as many discs as the best-selling Blu-ray title, 3:10 to Yuma"...

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Some of the things I've heard about Blu-Ray don't make me all that thrilled that it's winning.

This for example.

So far I'm content to use DVDs.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted Hide Post
It does sound like Blu-Ray might win the format war but don't run out and buy a Blu-Ray machine just yet. Blu-Ray is currently in 1.0 status but there are new machines on the horizon called 2.0 that will have some capabilities that 1.0 wont have like being able to show a PIP and other such talents. If you buy an older version of a Blu-Ray machine, you'll be able to play future DVD's but wont be able to take full advantage of all the features built onto those 2.0 Blu-Ray discs.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
To be able to stay up to date and to be capable of always having the latest firmware updates...the only Blu-ray player to be buying right now is the PS3. The PS3 is the only current production player to be able to take advantage of Blu-ray 1.1 and 2.0 ( Blu-ray Live ) ( all stated in your link )

As stated in the article all current stand alone Blu-ray players ( not having the ability to upgrade ) will still be able to "play" all current and future movies but NOT be able to take advantage of certain "extra" features found in the 1.1 and 2.0 updates. Maybe not the ideal situation but that is the risk of buying any technology. I look forward to soon being able to watch a clearer and sharper Blu-ray movies versus the current standard definition DVD's ( whether played on a up converted player or not )

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
I know buying a Blu-Ray player now would make me an early adopter (I'm not planning on that), but when the smoke clears, I want it to be Blu-ray that's standing.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Because?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Last year I mentioned here that in calendar year 2008 i had hope to finally watch HD movies at home. When Warner Movie Studio made the announcement that by the end of May 2008, they would no longer support HD-DVD and go exclusively Blu-ray....that did it for me. Market share wise, Blu-ray would have a big advantage. When the AppleTV rumors started to fly about maybe something "Blu-ray" happening with the device, I waited until Macworld before doing something. Since the AppleTV hardware stayed the same....I knew my next step Smile

I ordered and now have received a PS3.

The PS3 is the only current Blu-ray player that can be updated to take advantage of the future "blu-ray Live" or 2.0 ( which probably won'happen until summer ).

The only movie that I partially watched so far was Spiderman 3 ( average to only OK as a movie ) but the picture clarity looked good. I have some movies on order and will do a comparison to SD version of the same movie that I already own. The Blu-ray player as an SD upconverter also works good.

I am hardly a gamer....but since games is its primary purpose, i ordered "Dirt" and picked up "Blazing Angels". I was surprised that there isn't a real flight simulator for the PS3 ( or am I not finding it ).

I connected to the internet easily enough with an ethenet cable ( did a system update to the latest ) and downloaded a couple demos to see what the graphics would look like ... Wow, the realism looks great Smile I watched a demo video of the upcoming "Gran Turismo HD" racing simulation game and I am just amazed

My one issue so far is that I can't connect to the PS3 wirelessly. I am using an Airport Extreme G basestation running Leopard.

Any suggestions.......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: macjeff,