Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Blu-ray getting closer to winning
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blu-ray getting closer to winning
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Airport Express using WDS settings.

I just set up 2 AEX units yesterday for my son and his friends to plug 2 xBox 360 consoles so they could play Halo3 Live. The sounds of war reverberated between the Great Room and kitchen until 1 AM. This took all of 10 minutes using Airport Utility to configure both AEX units.

See me at todays meeting for more info.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave.....I'll see you at today's meeting

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Ok, here is what I did to get the wireless to work with the PS3...I went through the Network prefs again in the PS3 system. I had not gone far enough on one of the selections. When I selected the button to scan for any networks....it didn't find my network by name nor did it list out any of my neighbors networks that I sometimes see ( no names of networks showed up ). It asked for the SSID name and password ( I am using WPA2 ). I typed in both and the wireless connection was made.

So in the end....it was my fault for not looking deep enough in the settings ( or it was way to late at night Frown ). But it was all easy to do

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Here is article by "ars technica" titled New Blu-ray 2.0 spec makes PS3 the most future-proof player

Here are the three major version of Blu-ray ( as of now )

1.0 is the launch profile, and secondary audio and video decoders are optional, as is local storage and network connectivity. The majority of standalone players fit into this category.

1.1 is the newer profile, and to take advantage of these discs, players need a secondary audio and video decoder to handle picture-in-picture, as well as at least 256MB of local storage for content.

2.0 is the profile of the future, requiring the two secondary decoders, 1GB of local storage for updates and content, and an Internet connection.

Of the 3.5 million blu-ray players that have been sold....3 million of those were PS3's

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
Because?

When the specs for both were announced, Blu-Ray's was better to me, especially with the larger storage capacity; HD-DVD seemed to be just an evolution of the DVD, not a major overhaul.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
It appears that Toshiba is not going to give up without a fight to the complete bitter end . If they actually go through and buy a 2.7 million dollar Super Bowl ad.....it will be just prolong the final outcome of Blu-ray becoming the HD disk standard.

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Woolworths Pulling HD DVD from UK Stores

This next article is totally incorrect: consumers were the BIG losers in the DVD war. Quality is very poor overall, except with DVD-ROM's (movies).

DVD Format War Officially a Draw

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
According to this article, HD-DVD sales rebounded. The article only counts stand alone players for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD sales. The week before the ratio was 93% to 7% while last week it was 65% to 35%.

IMO...leaving out PS3 sales ( or HD-DVD which is optional in XBOX) in the comparison is wrong because the Blu-ray feature is the primnary reason why some people buy the game machine. Or at a minimum, do the sales numbers with and without the game machines.

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Toshiba did play an ad during the Super Bowl but it did not play nationwide. Here is the HD-DVD commerical

Here is another reason why the PS3 is a good current choice as a Blu-ray player. It remains the only player that is up-gradeable to Profile 2.0 ( when it comes out this summer )

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
This format war could be over if Universal would just have the guts/vision to go ahead and pull out of the HD DVD camp. Then the industry and consumers could move forward which would be good for everyone. The more blu-ray players that would be made the cheaper they would become and therefore adopted by more people.

At best HD DVD can just hold on! It can't win, so why continue to fight? It's a losing proposition and one that doesn't make sense. Toshiba could be making Blu-ray players next month and they would be more successful than they are now. However, they probably figure that since they are one of the few players making HD DVD players, they have a monopoly right now and don't have any serious competitors in the HD DVD space.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
This format war could be over if Universal would just have the guts/vision to go ahead and pull out of the HD DVD camp.

They may be contractually required to use HD-DVD.

quote:
Toshiba could be making Blu-ray players next month and they would be more successful than they are now.

They'd have to license Blu-ray from Sony. I doubt they would get a bargain price to acquire that license.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Universal doesn't seem to be seeing the "Blu" light. Universal has stated today that they will release a minimum of 20 films during calendar 2008.

You are right about Toshiba / other HD-DVD hardware produces and the for Universal / Paramount studios .... converting to Blu-Ray would bring them all lots more money and profits.

For Toshiba ... it is a terrible case of NIH ( Not Invented Here ) Syndrome

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by macjeff:
You are right about Toshiba / other HD-DVD hardware produces and the for Universal / Paramount studios .... converting to Blu-Ray would bring them all lots more money and profits.

For Toshiba ... it is a terrible case of NIH ( Not Invented Here ) Syndrome

Or a "we don't have a license and Sony will stick it to us for making HD-DVD". You don't know what sort of terms Sony may ask. Toshiba already is licensed to make HD-DVD as one of the spec founders. They may be making *more* money by selling fewer units without a license fee.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
There are lots of different scenarios that could be played out. In the end, while Sony could "stick it" to those HD-DVD makers....it is about making money and the more licenses that Sony can sell...the more money for Sony ( and utimately for everyone making / selling hardware / films ).

When Warner Studio made their announcement earlier this year, there was a lot of discussion of escape clauses for Paramount and Univeral Studios. But I haven't seen anything concrete of what is exactly in the contracts.

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of different headlines...

HD-DVD : 5 ways it can survive

5 reasons you shouldn't buy a Blu-ray player yet

I don't care what they say....I watched part of another Blu-ray movie tonight...good picture and fantasic sound

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by macjeff:
Here are a couple of different headlines...

HD-DVD : 5 ways it can survive

5 reasons you shouldn't buy a Blu-ray player yet

I don't care what they say....I watched part of another Blu-ray movie tonight...good picture and fantastic sound

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
The only real problem is the firmware upgrades. and that's only if one wants the PIP feature from their Blu-Ray machines. The rest are the sames things DVD had to deal with in it's climb to the top. I'd get the PS3 for it's upgradability and it's duality (Blu-Ray player/video games).

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Today there were a couple more announcements today that favor Blu-ray over HD-DVD

Netflix announced today that it will not long acquire new HD-DVD's and transition over to Blu-ray. ..."While only a portion of Netflix subscribers have elected to receive high- def DVDs, a majority of those subscribers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD"...

Best Buy to recommend Blu-ray only to customers. They will still have HD-DVD players in the store but not prominently displayed

Blockbuster already announced their move to Blu-ray last year in June

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I got my Netflix email today stating that they will only be doing Blu-ray going forward! I have both players and put both in my account prefs so that I would get movies in HD no matter which format they were in. If they were in both, my pref was Blu-ray.
So again, it's just a matter of time before HD-DVD goes away. It looks like more companies are tired of waiting for this to end and are now PUSHING it to happen!

Makes me happy! I don't have a lot invested in HD-DVD anyway. So if it becomes an orphan, I have no problems pulling the plug.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Barnes & Noble is having a 50% off sale of HD-DVD discs. Prices range from 14.99-19.99, 99 titles available. Members get an additional 10% off.

If you link to BN from this Visa page ( http://usa.visa.com/personal/discounts/detail/BarnesNob.../discounts/index.jsp ), you get free shipping. You do not actually have to pay with a Visa, you just have to link from the page.

Then, when checking out, add a coupon:

Non Members T3E9J3V 20% off
Non Members Y4R4K7D 25% off

Members M4Y8X4J 20% off
Members T4W3P7J 25% off

With the combined 25% off, member discount, and free shipping link, a 14.99 movie is only 9.74.

EDIT: Just to clarify, a coupon is good for one item, and each can be used once per account. Presumably one could create as many non-member accounts as they wish to use those coupons more than once.

Posts: 103 | Registered: July 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post