Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Blu-ray getting closer to winning
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blu-ray getting closer to winning
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
FINALLY!

I couldn't be happier!

YEAH!

Long live Blu-ray!

Let's move forward...

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I'm happy too, but not because I'm a Toshiba hater, or technology lover.

Hopefully, the DVD industry can move forward without any devisive wars draining resources from their efforts. I hope that translates to better products, because the last generation DVD's were functional at extremely restricted levels. Inoperability was not available possible of the time. The Orient is not known for its software prowess - I hope they put more effort than minimal effort into Blu-ray software and firmware. I hope they solve inoperability problems.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
What does this mean for us common folks? Replace the old DVD player? Do Blu-ray players also play audio CD/DVD's? What happens to our stock of blank CD's for burning? - or blank DVD +/- disks? Burners?
- And anything else relative to everyday use?

- Do we go through another round of replacing a lot of equipment? (Hope not!)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
What does this mean for us common folks? Replace the old DVD player? Do Blu-ray players also play audio CD/DVD's? What happens to our stock of blank CD's for burning? - or blank DVD +/- disks? Burners?

For now you don't have to anything if you don't want to. But if you choose to...
you can buy a Stand-along Blue-ray player or a PS3 ( Playstation 3 ) if you want to have the capability to play HD movies or still play Standard DVD's that are up convertered. I would recommend buying a PS3 because it is the only Blu-ray player that can be easily upgraded to take advantage of future firmware upgrades which will come out later this year.

For now, Standard DVD's will be the norm but somewhere in the future, the movie studio's will probably start migrating to Blu-ray and away from Standard DVD's ( but this will probably take years )

I just saw Terry's blog on this same subject concerning the PS3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: macjeff,

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
This also puts Adobe in a very good spot as CS3 Production Premium is (currently) the only solution for end-to-end video editing, production and Blu-ray output/burning on the Mac Big Grin

I don't know this as a fact but I thought some of Apple software did something for HD-DVD's but not Blu-ray. Even as Apple was in the Blu-ray camp.

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how long it would take for the last two studios to officially announce their conversion to Blu-ray. Univeral ( this studio never produced any Blu-ray disks ) annouced within a couple of hours after Toshiba capitulated that they would start producting Blu-ray Disks Smile Still now official word yet from Paramount

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Apple DVD Studio Pro allows authoring of HD-DVDs, but doesn't actually allow you to burn them. So the feature was pretty useless and is more so now.

quote:
Originally posted by macjeff:
quote:
This also puts Adobe in a very good spot as CS3 Production Premium is (currently) the only solution for end-to-end video editing, production and Blu-ray output/burning on the Mac Big Grin

I don't know this as a fact but I thought some of Apple software did something for HD-DVD's but not Blu-ray. Even as Apple was in the Blu-ray camp.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Blu-ray players will not only play your existing DVD's etc, but they will also up-convert your standard def DVDs to look better on your HDTV.

There is no hurry, but if you were in the market for a new player anyway I would start looking at Blu-ray.

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:

----

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apple DVD Studio Pro allows authoring of HD-DVDs, but doesn't actually allow you to burn them. So the feature was pretty useless and is more so now.

Maybe Apple was just looking into the future - since there won't be any players soon, why burn a disk?< g>

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no hurry, but if you were in the market for a new player anyway I would start looking at Blu-ray.

As far as looking, the best thing going right now is a Sony Playstation 3. it's firmware upgradeable, has plenty of horsepower, and one can play games if one wants; it's basically a computer!

Yaaay Blu-Ray!

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Here is an excellent summary of the last several years of the battle between HD-DVD and blu-ray

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 103 | Registered: July 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dix99:
Paramount last studio to adopt Blu-ray..

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/02/21/paramount.adopts.blu.ray/

About time they make the announcement. Paramount and Universal will now sell more movies than ever with the Blu-ray format.

I wonder how long it will take for them to ship their first blu-ray disk ?

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that this format battle will be studied for a long time ( like every other format war over the years )

Here is anther good article summarizing the Origins of the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD War

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Some leftover details still unresolved from the HD disk war.

Even though Universal and Paramount are now completely in the Blu-ray camp, Movie studio DreamWorks is still tied to HD-DVD via Toshiba

Toshiba lost the war but still benefits from Blu-ray's victory. Toshiba will have a joint venture with Sony on the chip that powers the PS3

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I know the HD-DVD is now finished, but Costco are selling them at $79.99, with 2 free movies in the box & 5 free after mail-in. As I needed a new DVD player & it about the same cost, I went and got one.

Posts: 103 | Registered: July 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know the HD-DVD is now finished, but Costco are selling them at $79.99, with 2 free movies in the box & 5 free after mail-in. As I needed a new DVD player & it about the same cost, I went and got one.

For that price, you are getting a very good deal. The HD-DVD player will work really good as a reqular DVD upconversion player. Plus there are lots of good sale prices on HD-DVD movies. You might want to get some of those. When these movies get re-released as Blu-ray, I highly doubt that they will ever see these low, clearance, sale prices

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
This might be a reason there's no Blu-ray in the latest laptops (doesn't explain the Mac Pro/iMacs though).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I hadn't considered battery life to be a factor. So I guess that would be a reason for now. But like you said, it doesn't explain the lack of Blu-ray support in desktop Macs.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
This might be a reason there's no Blu-ray in the latest laptops (doesn't explain the Mac Pro/iMacs though).

----

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
tomorrow March 4th, Universal will be lowering the price on HD-DVD's. Discounts from these new list prices will make HD-DVD movies very attractive. Good deals for sure and a good way for Universal to clear out stock

quote: