Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Betamax to HD-DVD Converter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Betamax to HD-DVD Converter
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
ThinkGeek now has a Betamax to HD-DVD Converter And lots of other new items this month Wink

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Please click on the BetaMax to HD-DVD in action link. Very informative! Big Grin

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Ordered 2 in the past hour. Can't wait for delivery!

Whoo Hoo!

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1728 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for somebody else to ask but I guess the person will be me.....
Will this converter convert my old commercial VHS movies such as "Uncle Buck" etc. or only convert my family home movies that I had created?
Please forgive me as I am cringing as I ask.

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
It will only convert BetaMax tapes to HD-DVD.... won't do VHS.

Please visit the site again and click on the link that shows the unit in action. I believe that will make it clearer to you Wink

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
$29 is an excellent price. I wonder what the conversion quality will be???? Roll Eyes

To the best of my knowledge, a Canopus ADVC 110 (or some member of that family) is the best value on the market. It converts VHS or Beta to a digital (Firewire) input for a Mac video app (like iMovie) to capture. You can perform whatever editing you require (e.g., Chapters, choosing compression quality, hopefully choosing the MPEG2 format, etc.), and then burn a DVD-R on good (i.e., expensive) Verbatim disks using your favorite burning software.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
If anyone has or gets one of these, I have one precious 5 minute tape that I need to get in current format. It is from 1976 and is of my daughter. I have it around here someplace. It is a reel though, if I remember correctly. I don't think it was a cassette. I know it was whatever portable video cameras took then. I remember it was very wide and definitely not VHS.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
OK, for those of you who still haven't gotten it, it's an April Fools's joke: one dead format (beta) to another (HD-DVD).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Alas, I pretty well thought it was a hoax, but, on the off chance it was not, I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know where I can get a 5-minute really old video tape converted. It is pre VHS, pretty wide, and I assume it is Betamax.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Alas, I pretty well thought it was a hoax, but, on the off chance it was not, I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know where I can get a 5-minute really old video tape converted. It is pre VHS, pretty wide, and I assume it is Betamax.

Beta format tape is 1/2inch, like VHS, and the shell was roughly the same size.
It's possible you have a 3/4" UMatic tape. Is there anything printed or embossed on the plastic shell, like a number or brand?

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
If it's Betamax, I can do it. Email me at jbeckman at beckmanjm dot com.

(Yes, I still have at least *2* working Betamax recorders!)

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I actually own a Beta tape. The magnetic coating might peel off if I play it. It's 28 years old!!!

By the way Calvin, I'd like to use your purchased item.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post