Find
Notify
Tools

Handbrake and Toast
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
So I am trying to salvage some older DVD's that are becoming scratched etc. I used Handbrake and it gave me a m4v file which is not recognized by my DVD players. So I am using Toast 10 to reconvert it to DVD. It is asking whether to use NSTC or PAL. which one should I use? Does handbrake have a quicker method without using Toast?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
NTSC is standard for US.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Handbrake is for conversion of DVDs to computer and iPad, iPhone, iTouch, iPod-compatible files. DVDs are muxed MPEG2 video, so no, your DVD player won't know what m4v's are.
If you are simply trying to back up your physical DVDs by burning new ones, built-in Disk Utility will do this handily. Launch the program (in Applications>Utilities) and use the Help feature which has easy instructions on copying CDs and DVDs.
The process you're following involves decoding, and re-encoding and re-compressing already heavily processed video, not at all good for preserving any degree of quality.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
You may need something like MacTheRipper rather than Handbrake. FastDVDCopy is no longer available. Someone suggested that an alternative to that is RipIt.
http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/
I've not used that one , which costs $25 and requires 10.5.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
Donna, I've used RipIt and really like it. But it's designed to create files playable in the DVD Player app; it has no burning capability.

For burning, I recommend DVDRemaster.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I used Toast pro and it went OK thanks

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post