Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Apple TV compare to Chromecast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple TV compare to Chromecast
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
I probably know the answer already, but just checking:
Our son (upper level IT, GM Proving Grounds) will help us get streaming set up. He's done it at his home, but as a wired setup.
We had AT&T install internet service last summer, but not TV or phone. (Gave up DSL, though not sure I see much improvement.) The box is in a back room, but the signal is adequate everywhere except the furthest bedroom in our ranch home.
A. I have a signal extender, but disconnected it when the new service was installed. Should it be installed again to ramp up the signal in a different room from the box for streaming?

B. The BIG question: Chromecast or Apple TV. Quite a price difference, though worth it if using a Mac laptop with AppleTV coordinates more efficiently.

C. The TV is older, but has 2 HDMI ports.

Found this tutorial for using Chromecast, but still deciding.
https://computers.tutsplus.com...and-a-mac--cms-20419

Thanks all. And a Happy New Year!

PS: Would be using a MacBook Pro 13", mid 2012 running OS 10.10.5, Yosemite

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
A - If you are talking about WiFi, you can try , but realize that while an extender will increase the range, it will decrease the speed.

B- It depends on what you are trying to do. AppleTv will be the most compatible with your Apple products,and will allow you to send over your entire screen. Chromecast will allow for sending one only what's in the Chrome browser. But if you are using it for the services instead, then it depends on what services you plan to use.

C - I don't see a question here.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack.Item C isn't a question - just stating that the TV has HDMI. Don't know if the current version of HDMI is more advanced. The TV is a flat screen but OLD by today's standards. Still works fine.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Another thought: Assuming AppleTV connects to the TV OK:

Would I connect to internet on my laptop (in the same room), then to the AppleTV signal for streaming?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You would only need to do that if there was something you could get to on your laptop that wasn't available directly on the AppleTV - and as of late, there are very few things you can't get directly on the AppleTV.

Also, you do not need to be in the same room, just on the same network.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Jack. I should have known Apple made it relatively easy.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
One more question: Does the newer 4k AppleTV accommodate older TV's?

Looking at Amazon choices:
32GB, 4th generation
32GB, 4k
64GB, 4k

(I can afford any of these, so didn't list prices. - Also may purchase elsewhere. Apple's site doesn't make it easy to find simple product info for some reason.)

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
As long as your TV has an HDMI plug in it... any of the AppleTV models you mentioned will work.

The 4K AppleTV works fine with a non-4K TV. It will not give you a 4K image (that only happens with a 4K TV) and I haven't noticed a difference on our TVs.

DirectTV is running a special currently that gives you an AppleTV when you prepay for 4 months of service. So for $140, you get their $35 a month plan and a AppleTV. I think it is the standard AppleTV they include. I signed up for this last year and then cancelled the subscription a month later. They provided service until the trial expired. Might want to look into this. I think it is offered by AT&T.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
https://www.directvnow.com/app...&RD=37922269&afsrc=1

It appears that this is the AppleTV 4K that DirecTV is offering now. Most likely the 32gb model. One would save $39 off MSRP.

Hmmm, I think my daughter needs one of these for school...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is the 32 GB, 4K Apple TV DirecTV Now is offering, got mine this week. It is working great, no buffering, we have Comcast. Will be curious to see what Comcast has to say about all our Data usage. But we don't have a 4K TV, yet, so not as much Data.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Very helpful. Will check in when it's set up. I've had some problems with AT&T internet (not DSL - frankly it worked much better). Hopefully got it fixed today using their online support. (The problem: almost daily the internet wouldn't "work" unless I restarted the computer. Mail and browsers weren't working. - Will monitor how things go for a few days before purchasing a streaming device. Only have internet service with AT&T - no mobile phone or TV.)

PS: The upgraded internet service was installed last August. Technician was a Mac user, knew Macs. I have his name & phone if push comes to shove to solve the erratic internet service.)