Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Keeping video high-res on my iPod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping video high-res on my iPod
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
What format do I need to save videos as in order for them to show up on my iPod classic so I can view them on my TV? So far the only way to get them to show up on the iPod is to convert them to iPod Video format, but this reduces the quality. If I convert them to Apple TV format they do not show up on the iPod.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You can't save them at any resolution greater than the iPod is capable of playing back. You might be able to put it into disk mode and manually copy a file over that's in a different resolution, but then the iPod will not be able to play it on your TV. I don't see how you could save higher-res video as video on the iPod and still play it back.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I was hoping there was some way since the movie rental are high res and show up.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
But are they reduced in quality? I haven't rented any movies from iTunes. They still can't be output any better than the iPod can play.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
The real question is, what are you using to encode them?

iPod video format is typically 320x240 and will NOT look good on a TV which is at least 640x480.

New utilities such as VisualHub (my favorite) allow you to encode using a preset called "All Devices" which will make a 640x480 movie that plays on iPods, iPhones, Apple TVs and of course your computer.

Oddly enough the Apple TV format plays at a bitrate that is too high for iPods. I thought they would have corrected this in the newer iPods, but apparently not. So Apple TV format ONLY works on Apple TV and your computer. This is really a drag for those of us who want to rip our DVD collections into a format that works best on All Devices which gets me back to Visual Hub. Now if you want to rip a copyprotected DVD that you own (of course), then I would use HandBrake using its new preset of "iPod High-Rez"

Handbrake is for converting DVD content into other formats
VisualHub is for converting just about any type of video into other formats.
I love both apps for the respected purposes.

My hope is that we'll be able to convert our own DVDs into an Apple TV or iPod format that will hold the 5.1 surround information in it. I would love to convert my top favorite 25-50 movies of all time and have them right on the hard drive of an Apple TV. This will be one of the first things I test when the Apple TV Take 2 update is released.

quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
What format do I need to save videos as in order for them to show up on my iPod classic so I can view them on my TV? So far the only way to get them to show up on the iPod is to convert them to iPod Video format, but this reduces the quality. If I convert them to Apple TV format they do not show up on the iPod.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I hope the iPod classic that Bibo is using is the very newest model. If not, the movie rentals will not play on it. Specifically, the 5th gen iPod that plays video will not play the new rentals, but it will play purchased video (or video you have made and converted to its proper format) and output it to a TV via the proper cable(s).

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
No, the quality is quite impressive! Anamorphic Widescreen even!

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
But are they reduced in quality? I haven't rented any movies from iTunes. They still can't be output any better than the iPod can play.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Cool VisualHub did the trick! High res and Anamorphic! Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
The real question is, what are you using to encode them?

iPod video format is typically 320x240 and will NOT look good on a TV which is at least 640x480.

New utilities such as VisualHub (my favorite) allow you to encode using a preset called "All Devices" which will make a 640x480 movie that plays on iPods, iPhones, Apple TVs and of course your computer.

Oddly enough the Apple TV format plays at a bitrate that is too high for iPods. I thought they would have corrected this in the newer iPods, but apparently not. So Apple TV format ONLY works on Apple TV and your computer. This is really a drag for those of us who want to rip our DVD collections into a format that works best on All Devices which gets me back to Visual Hub. Now if you want to rip a copyprotected DVD that you own (of course), then I would use HandBrake using its new preset of "iPod High-Rez"

Handbrake is for converting DVD content into other formats
VisualHub is for converting just about any type of video into other formats.
I love both apps for the respected purposes.

My hope is that we'll be able to convert our own DVDs into an Apple TV or iPod format that will hold the 5.1 surround information in it. I would love to convert my top favorite 25-50 movies of all time and have them right on the hard drive of an Apple TV. This will be one of the first things I test when the Apple TV Take 2 update is released.

quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
VisualHub is also way faster than Apple's own high-end FCP Compressor app. I used to use Compressor to convert my podcasts into the proper format. Compressor would take an hour (or more) to convert 6-12 movies into the proper format. VisualHub did the same task in under 10 minutes! I was sold ever since.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post