Find
Notify
Tools

Component to Composite?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
I am going to purchase an Apple A/V Cable for my iPod Classic. I would prefer to get the Component cable since my TV supports it. Problem is the TV in my bedroom and most TVs at hotels and at friends & family have Composite connections. Is there such a thing as a cable that will combine the RGB Component video into Composite video?

At $50 for an Apple A/V cable I'm not buying 2 versions!

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Check out these items. Leave your component cable at home. I use the first item with my 60GB video iPod.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EAGKIM
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Generation-Photo-Classic-iP...id=1199570455&sr=1-2

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
The latest iPods are not compatible with 3rd party cables for video output. Apple has changed how these newer iPods work and you must now use the Apple branded cables for video output.

I'm doubting the 2nd item you listed is capable of outputting video from the latest iPods. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people will be upgrading their TV's to HDTV's in the next year, and most of those will have component inputs. Heaven knows what motels will order - they're not consumer grade televisions in most cases.

Is the Canopus ADVC-700 converter too expensive?

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Bibo,

I don't think there's any way to do what you want without a converter box.

The second item James listed claims iPhone compatibility, but I too am under the impression 3rd-party connectors won't work.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the composite will be the better way to go then. I'm still in no hurry to get an HDTV quite yet. So far none of my relatives have HDTVs and doubt they will be switching too soon, as they aren't big A/V people. I don't see the hotels switching too soon either since they don't need to. I did stay at a Spring Hill suites about a year ago and they had HDTVs but everywhere else we've stayed have had SDTVs, all of which had composite video inputs.

So I think composite will be my safest choice for the time being.

I'll wait until MacWorld though in case some compatible 3rd party cables surface.

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Jack is correct. Component signals are entirely different from composite signals. A conversion is required - via a converter box.

Instead of the iPod, can you use a laptop or a DVD player as the video source?

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
Instead of the iPod, can you use a laptop or a DVD player as the video source?

I don't have a laptop. I just want to be able to watch a video podcast now and then on the TV, bore relatives with vacation photos and carry a a few movies or TV shows all on my iPod while traveling.

Also if the rumor of movie rentals via iTunes is true and the movies can be copied to the iPod and watched on a TV I'll need one of those cables.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well after thinking about it more I decided to go with the Component cable for a higher quality image, that was a mistake.

The Apple Component cable outputs in HD only, you can't select HD or SD (Standard Def). My TV is SD so the picture is scrambled on my TV.

Guess I'm getting the Composite cable after all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bibo (Jim Nichols),