Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Alternative to Apple TV...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative to Apple TV...
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
... with most features especially a "one box" solution.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It also doesn't support Component TVs, only HDMI and composite.

It only supports "Windows" AAC, not "Apple" AAC, whatever that means. AAC is a standard, not proprietary, so I don't know what they're getting at.

This lets you show any media you can load onto it, but it doesn't connect to the ITMS, Unbox, Netflix, or any outside source. So you need to hook it to a computer, load the data, then hook it to your TV.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
You'd be better off getting an Apple AV Cable for your iPod. I had a bunch of Christmas Specials on my iPod and some movies. We watched some in our hotel room & some at relatives last week.

We now rent most of our movies from the ITMS & watch them on the TV via the iPod.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
For videos, I've been using Netflix, so $3.99 per movie isn't for me.

Yeah, Jack, after I re-read the finer points of the LaCie, I had to axe that from the list. I guess I'll be getting an ATV most likely.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I've now setup an Intel MacMini as my media center. I tried a G4 MacMini but due to the lack of remote control and an attempt at 3rd party options, the newer model with the built in remote worked better.

Using the MacMini gives me the flexibility to use my own choice of media center software. Here's a few I've tried:
iTheater - (FREE - http://www.itheaterproject.com/
Boxee - (FREE - my favorite) - http://boxee.tv/
Media Central ($50) - http://www.equinux.com/us/prod...iacentral/index.html
Or of course, Front Row (free with Leopard 10.5.x).

Use Handbrake to encode the movies
Point to your iTunes for an awesome media center!

Posts: 164 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post