New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye TV
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I'm looking into a eyetv hybrid and it looks like the program guide is now a paid subscription service. Does anyone know if the device is still useful without the guide service? I'm mainly interested in doing basic time/channel recording. Are there alternate free guide solutions?

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Will you be watching cable or over the air? If you use over the air, you can use guide information from the channels themselves. Otherwise, I don't think there is another free alternative that is integrated. You can use TitanTV.com in a browser to set recordings, but not inside the program.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Wilson
posted Hide Post

Posts: 484 | Location: Novi, MI | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
It will be used for over the air signals.

I took a quick look at titantv and I clicked on a record link for a show and it downloaded a .tvpi file. Is that what would be used to set up the scheduled recording in EyeTV? If that is the case, I can live with not having the integrated susbscription program guide.

Thanks,
Brian

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I used it, but that sounds familiar.

Since you will be using over the air, you can just use the guide provided by each channel, integrated right into the software. Much easier than going to an external site, and free as part of the signal.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes,
The record button will download .tvpi files from TitanTV,
will then populate the EyeTV program pane, and automatically record shows.
I've used it for years.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I think that I'm going to take the plunge and pick it up.

Brian