MacGroup iBBS
Eye TV

This topic can be found at:
http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4631041462/m/735102492

November 16, 2009, 12:59 AM
Brian R.
Eye TV
I'm looking into a eyetv hybrid and it looks like the program guide is now a paid subscription service. Does anyone know if the device is still useful without the guide service? I'm mainly interested in doing basic time/channel recording. Are there alternate free guide solutions?

Thanks,
Brian
November 16, 2009, 06:16 AM
Jack Beckman
Will you be watching cable or over the air? If you use over the air, you can use guide information from the channels themselves. Otherwise, I don't think there is another free alternative that is integrated. You can use TitanTV.com in a browser to set recordings, but not inside the program.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

November 16, 2009, 07:09 AM
Bill Wilson
Here's one.

http://tinyurl.com/y8uy5vo%0D
November 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
Brian R.
It will be used for over the air signals.

I took a quick look at titantv and I clicked on a record link for a show and it downloaded a .tvpi file. Is that what would be used to set up the scheduled recording in EyeTV? If that is the case, I can live with not having the integrated susbscription program guide.

Thanks,
Brian
November 16, 2009, 03:08 PM
Jack Beckman
It's been a while since I used it, but that sounds familiar.

Since you will be using over the air, you can just use the guide provided by each channel, integrated right into the software. Much easier than going to an external site, and free as part of the signal.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

November 16, 2009, 03:50 PM
CHunter
Yes,
The record button will download .tvpi files from TitanTV,
will then populate the EyeTV program pane, and automatically record shows.
I've used it for years.
November 16, 2009, 07:14 PM
Brian R.
Thanks for all the input. I think that I'm going to take the plunge and pick it up.

Brian