Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    A couple of things are bugging me about iTunes movie rentals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A couple of things are bugging me about iTunes movie rentals
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted
OK, usually my "first" experience with new Apple technology, services or products goes quite well. However with movie rentals I got off to a bad start.

The first problem I already blogged about. I rented a movie ("Blades of Glory" - don't ask! Smile ) and when I got on the plane to come back from MW Expo to watch it, iTunes needed to connect to the internet to start the 24 hour viewing period. So needless to say, I didn't get to watch the movie on my flight.

When I got home I tested my theory and sure enough once I made that first connection, if I paused the movie and turned AirPort off (disconnecting from the internet), I was able to continue watching. I paused again/quit iTunes. Then I copied the movie to the Mac mini in my theater figuring that since I'm home, we might as well watch the movie as a family.

I get everyone in front of the big screen only to be told that "the movie "Blades of Glory" had been authorized on a different computer and could not be played!" So it appears that although Steve said that rentals could be moved from device to device, those devices can't be Macs. I ended up just disconnecting the Mac mini and connecting my MacBook Pro and we watched the movie. However, it was very frustrating (yes the movie too). I later checked and saw no way to deauthorize it from my MBP and authorize it on the mini. Yes the mini was authorized on my iTunes account and it had the latest iTunes and QT.

I understand the need to be restrictive so that people don't abuse the rules, but had that been a DVD from Netflix, I'd be able to watch it on any device, keep it as long as I like, watch it as many times as I wanted and never have to connect to the internet to view it. iTunes has a ways to go yet to compete for my exclusive movie rental business!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Not Authorized

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I was wondering what Apple meant by "Movies can be played on one library". My first impression was that means your iTunes account but obviously that is NOT the case Frown

Can one move the movie to multiple devices at the same time (ie: iPhone, iPod Touch AND a Nano) for family members to watch within the 24 hour period???

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2108 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
According to iTunes Help: "After you transfer a rental, it is removed from your iTunes library." So it looks like the answer is "no".

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
So it looks like ONE computer OR one device at a time.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post