Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Theater - HDTV - Digital Entertainment    Is the DivX codec any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the DivX codec any good?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of DigiMike
posted
Is it any where near the claims made for it my its DivX, Inc?

Its web page says: "DivX is the name of a popular new video compression technology developed by DivX, Inc. The format was developed to enable users to play and create high-quality videos in a fast and convenient way, while still maintaining the best quality possible. The DivX codec is currently the most popular MPEG-4 based codec because of its quality, speed and efficiency as well as the wide range of DVD players that support DivX."

Posts: 451 | Location: Grosse Pointe | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
I could be mistaken, but I think this Divx is the same Divx that came out years ago with "disposable" DVDs. They tried to get consumers to buy a disc at a lower price that had a "time limit" on viewing after initializing. They failed to catch on.

That could be the reason they are in a lot of DVD players- being a prior manufacturer. Since their codec is MPEG 4, I doubt they are any better than QuickTime. I have seen both and can't call a winner.

I think it's popularity claims are based on it being cross-platform like QuickTime, but mainly written for, and having better support on Windows.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It is the same in name only. This Divx has nothing to do with the disposable one.

Divx makes smaller files with about the same quality as H.264.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
How do they make smaller file sizes than QuickTime when they both use H.264?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
It's not H.264 but relatively close in quality to H.264, which is why the size is smaller.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Don't confuse MP4 with H.264. H.264 is one of the many variants of MP4.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post