MacGroup iBBS
Is the DivX codec any good?

This topic can be found at:
http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4631041462/m/9381024092

July 04, 2008, 09:59 AM
DigiMike
Is the DivX codec any good?
Is it any where near the claims made for it my its DivX, Inc?

Its web page says: "DivX is the name of a popular new video compression technology developed by DivX, Inc. The format was developed to enable users to play and create high-quality videos in a fast and convenient way, while still maintaining the best quality possible. The DivX codec is currently the most popular MPEG-4 based codec because of its quality, speed and efficiency as well as the wide range of DVD players that support DivX."
December 27, 2008, 04:53 PM
arrakian
I could be mistaken, but I think this Divx is the same Divx that came out years ago with "disposable" DVDs. They tried to get consumers to buy a disc at a lower price that had a "time limit" on viewing after initializing. They failed to catch on.

That could be the reason they are in a lot of DVD players- being a prior manufacturer. Since their codec is MPEG 4, I doubt they are any better than QuickTime. I have seen both and can't call a winner.

I think it's popularity claims are based on it being cross-platform like QuickTime, but mainly written for, and having better support on Windows.

- One Nation Under A Groove -
December 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
Jack Beckman
It is the same in name only. This Divx has nothing to do with the disposable one.

Divx makes smaller files with about the same quality as H.264.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

December 28, 2008, 03:38 AM
arrakian
How do they make smaller file sizes than QuickTime when they both use H.264?

- One Nation Under A Groove -
December 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
Dave
It's not H.264 but relatively close in quality to H.264, which is why the size is smaller.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"
December 28, 2008, 09:16 AM
Jack Beckman
Don't confuse MP4 with H.264. H.264 is one of the many variants of MP4.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”