Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Soft Alert!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft Alert!
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
Two questions:

I like my new Mac Pro, but one thing has me confounded. I have a number of custom alert sounds, such as a cartoon voice to tell me when a new E-mail message has arrived, but I can't hear them like I could with my old Mac. It was convenient that, while in the next room, I could hear an alert voice that would tell me just what was happening on my Mac, but the volume of the Mac Pro's built-in speaker is too faint for me to hear – sometimes even while seated at the computer. Yes, yes, yes, I have the Alert volume slider allllll the way to the right in the Sound panel of System Preferences. It seems improbable that Apple would include an inaudible speaker in their high-end Mac, so is there another procedure that might boost the volume of alerts?

It always happens that immediately after you buy some new computer gear, something new and more fabulous will then be introduced. Is there some name, similar to Murphy's law, to describe such a situation? I took delivery of my new Mac less than three weeks ago, and one week ago iLife '08 was introduced. The new Mac came with iLife '06 installed, but apparently it will cost me the same $80 to upgrade as it would had I not bought a new Mac. Any way around this?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
HAve you got the System volume up high enough too?

You could always add an external speaker.

quote:
t always happens that immediately after you buy some new computer gear, something new and more fabulous will then be introduced. Is there some name, similar to Murphy's law, to describe such a situation? I took delivery of my new Mac less than three weeks ago, and one week ago iLife '08 was introduced. The new Mac came with iLife '06 installed, but apparently it will cost me the same $80 to upgrade as it would had I not bought a new Mac. Any way around this?

Never buy anything electronic or software.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
I have same volume problem on MacBook, yep it's all turned up, System, F4, sliders.....

Posts: 80 | Registered: April 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
The only way to get iLife '08 for less is to sell your '06.

Some of the Alerts have lower volumes than the pthers; do you have a low-volumed one selected?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
What are the "alert sounds" and where are they? I think we may be talking about the same thing, but I'm certain.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
I think I've found my solution. Under the "Input" tab, I cranked it up to 55% and it seems to playback louder now. Smile

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I thought I could solve the Case of the Inaudible Alerts by doing something I wanted to do anyway, improve my sound by taking advantage of my MacPro's Optical Digital Audio Out port. I bought a used external D/A convertor for $700 (from Audio Two, 11400 Tecumseh Rd. East, Windsor – he gave me a good price so I'll give him a plug), hooked it up with TOSLINK cable, and the sound I now get is marvelously improved. The high frequencies are uncannily clear, especially on DVDs. If you're serious about perfect sound from your Mac, I'd say that's the way to go.

The only trouble is, with the optical digital output, one forfeits all volume controls – both on the keyboard and in the sound panel of System Preferences. I thought I was going to be able to crank the Alerts volume way up, but with the Alerts still going through the Internal Speakers, that slider is all the way left, and the main output slider is grayed out.

Still, I'm so delighted with my improved sound, I'll fuss about the inaudible alerts later. Incidentally, I called Apple Care (their help center has apparently been moved from Bangalore to Saskatchewan) and the guy there was clueless as to how to make the Internal Speaker louder.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
if it's not too late to take the new D/A converter back, for $275 more, you could get a fantastic one with volume control here.

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice unit, but my MSB "Full Nelson" D/A convertor feeds balanced cables into a Cary CPA-1 Preamp which has a giant volume-control knob, and I want the fewest mechanical controls possible. Owners of stereos all know that what always goes bad first on an amp or receiver are the knobs and controls. How many units have you had where you had to jiggle a switch or control to get both channels?

Still, I miss the convenience of the volume and mute controls on the Mac keyboard. And I still wish there were a way to increase the volume of the small speaker in my Mac.

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
This one is fewer mechanical controls. it has balanced outputs, and can drive a power amp directly.

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of the model with the USB option ($1275), but they both have variable output...

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Well, at least I know that there's nothing wrong with my internal speaker. It sure made a lot of noise when I installed the recent EFI Firmware Update.

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith:
... I have a number of custom alert sounds, such as a cartoon voice to tell me when a new E-mail message has arrived,...

"Mail call! Gather 'round, everyone!" ?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Various cartoon voices I have announcing specific alerts are:

Angry unknown voice (possibly that of William Conrad): "You gettin' smart Moose?"
Bullwinkle: "I dunno! There's a first time for everything !"

Mouse (from the movie Babe, Pig in the City): "Hey! Stick! Stay! Don't go away! If you're not a cat, stay and chat!"

Rebecca Romijn-Stamos (from the movie Femme Fatale): "Why is there a ransom note on your computer?"

Fred MacMurray (sounds like it's from some hopelessly inane '60s Disney science-fiction movie): "Why . . . That computer seems to be telling us just what we want to hear !!"

The voice of Moe Syzlak (whom I believe I am related to on my mother's side – there's a certain resemblance).

Many other sound clips I've collected: "Microsoft Service! Can you hold for an hour?"

And I also make use of the treasure trove of sound effects concealed in every Mac, especially the animal noises.

All of these recordings are much louder than the tiny beeps, tings and boops of the standard alerts – those are utterly inaudible, and not much fun even if I could hear them.

So, Arrakian, I forget – just why is your D/A convertor better than mine?

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Not that it's necessarily better, just it has the "fewest mechanical controls" from source to speaker of the two, also, I wouldn't have even mentioned it if I'd known your new one was the MSB- which is a high-quality one.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Curiously, in Leopard, my audio alert sounds have returned to their old volume through the built-in speaker, and I can now hear when a message arrives from the next room.