Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Snow Leopard Disaster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow Leopard Disaster
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
After installing Snow Leopard this afternoon, I opened the new QuickTime 10 and found that the useful Preferences window is not available in the QuickTime menu, nor does a Preferences window appear with the standard keyboard command, Command + , (comma), NOR is QuickTime listed in the System Preferences window.

Among other things, this means that I can no longer switch to a different MIDI font for playback. Over the years, I had amassed a collection of particularly fine .sf2 fonts, some of which I had paid good money for, and also one which came from a friend in Colorado who designed it to have very realistic orchestral string sounds.

Upon inspecting the folder where fonts are kept -- HD > Audio > Sounds > Banks -- I found it empty. Fortunately I have been careful about backing-up to an external drive, and I was able to locate an older version of the Banks folder with all the fonts intact.

So I have the fonts, I just can't use them. In Sibelius 6, the drop-down menu for them is grayed-out, and as I said, there are no Preferences in QuickTime, so I'm stuck with that crummy, shrill QuickTime General MIDI font that comes in QuickTime.

Surely someone knows of a work-around to this dilemma. I hope, I hope.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find a way to extract an audio track with the new version, so I dipped back into Time Machine and dug out the last version. They now reside side by side, and I go back to the old version when I want the audio track.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
And, despite that I had saved my precious sound fonts to two separate locations (one using Time Machine, the other using SuperDuper!), I can't move them to my new, empty Banks folder, because I get an error message informing me, The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "Banks can't be read or written. (Error code -36)"

Looks like I'm SOL, huh? Nuthin' like having less functionality in one's computer.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that -36 is a hardware error. You might try using a repair utility on your backup drive.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx, Phyllis. Rather than figure out all the various files to transfer from the back-up drive to the Macintosh HD, and after reading all the complaints about QT X at the Apple boards, I decided to download and install a fresh copy of QT 7.64.

Unfortunately, the installer won't let me install QT 7.64 because I already have QT X installed.

So I guess I have to drag the QT application from my back-up drive, all the QT files in the Preferences folder, and . . . anything else?

You're sure this'll work? I can have both?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You can't download QT as you found out. Instead, put your 10.6 install disk back in, go to the Optional Installs, and install the QT 7 player from there. Do not attempt to use versions from your older system or you may screw up QT so badly you'll need to re-install.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
All I know is that I did a QT restore from Time Machine, told it to keep both copies, and both seem to be working as they should. I generally use it to grab audio tracks from MP4 files, and original and modified files play in both.

—P M Evans

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx, Jack. I already dragged QT7 and all its Preferences files onto my Macintosh HD, but when the QT 7.62 player is opened, the QuickTime Preferences are still unavailable, so there is still no access to my .sf2 fonts.

And, as you predicted, I've loused every thing up so that even when selecting QT X using Get Info, only the old version comes up.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Qt has been updated with all new frameworks, and depending on your system, they will expect to run in 64 bit mode. So it's important to use the matching frameworks and files from the install disk.

You might still try the optional install and see if that fixes your problems.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
After my upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6, the QuickTine Player 7.app in /Applications/Utilities is version 7.6.3 and has a Preferences item in the QuickTime Player 7 menu.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
After reinstalling 10.6, checking both the Rosetta and the QT7 options, I wound up with two copies of QT X in my Applications folder, one was labeled "original."

I'll try to reinstall again tomorrow, but I now worry that I may have to install 10.5 again to get QT 7 back, then installing 10.6. I hope that reinstalling 10.5 over 10.6 doesn't cause havoc.

Good thing I'm backed-up.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Just toss the one labelled "Original". Don't do another install until you're sure something is broken.

===

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Apple's instructions to install QT7 with Snow Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
A selected paragraph:

Information for QuickTime 7 Pro users:

If you have a QuickTime 7 Pro registration code on your computer, QuickTime Player 7 is automatically installed in your Utilities folder during the Mac OS X v10.6 installation process. QuickTime Player 7 recognizes your valid registration code and enables QuickTime Pro functionality.
If you need to manually enter your QuickTime 7 Pro registration code:

1. Open QuickTime Player 7.
2. Click the QuickTime Player 7 menu and choose Registration.
3. Enter your QuickTime 7 Pro registration code.

Note: QuickTime X does not use QuickTime Pro registration codes.

Another page with comments:

http://www.macintouch.com/spec...eopard/finderqt.html
============

Another question: I'm on the verge of ordering a Mini, which will probably come with Snow Leopard already installed. If I migrate my main desktop machine over (which I'm planning to do), would QT 7 go along? I purchased the Pro registration a while back.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Keith - If you use Sibelius, have you tried their bulletin board or forum to see if others have found solutions? Have the same problem? etc.
(I looked at the Finale Forum, but no mention of this issue yet.)

Also, Update 10.6.1 is now available. Doesn't mention QT or midi, however.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3810?viewlocale=en_US

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Sincere thanx, Mrs. Disler. I had gone through a marathon installation process of first reinstalling 10.5, but as I had already installed 10.6, the installation disk, although I had checked off Archive & Install, wiped my hard drive clean.

O.K., I backed up before this whole sordid episode. Good for me. Give me a pat on the head! I then went through the entire process of restoring my files, and made certain that, at the second attempt at installing 10.6, I had the QT7 option selected.

After this was completed, I found no QT 7 in the Applications folder, so I did the Clean Install again. The second time was easier, because I discovered that instead of dragging individual files from Time Machine (an all-day job; you can use the Install Disk to replace everything from your back-up at once.)

Now, thanx to the information you kindly provided, I discover that QT 7 must've been lurking in the Utilities folder -- An intuitive and logical place for it. How wonderful of Apple to think of that.

As it stands now, I'm so tired and discouraged from the repeated installs, that I distrust Snow Leonard and will likely stick with good old 10.5.8.

Please let me know if they restore the previous functionality to QT X.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, the Apple doc and Mary Jo said QT 7 would be in the Utilities folder...

As for when QT X gets all of 7's functions - it will probably be quite some time, as they are re-writing all of it for 64 bit.

===

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Keith, I really empathize with the frustrating, sinking feeling that something you've done routinely suddenly vanishes!!
Sometimes something is so easy it's hard. We tend to expect something new & sophisticated with all the updates, upgrades, etc.

A basic Mac "suggestion":
Try a search if something otherwise can't be found. I still use the tried but true Cmd-F. For example, a search for "Quicktime" might have turned up v.7 if it installed in an unexpected location.

Actually, I use it frequently for "lost" aliases. If the alias is reported as an orphan (not linking anymore), I DON'T just delete it right away. I copy the alias name, do a Cmd-F search and paste in the title- but without the word "alias." More often than not, the original item is still on the drive, and I can relink or redo the Alias. (Don't know why some of them get lost - Maybe from moving them to a new folder or something?)

Hoping all is solved for you.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
A quote from the Finale Forum:
"I just tried a few soundfonts (SF2) and they seem to be working for me when I change the settings in the Device Setup -->MIDI Setup window. There used to be an option in the System Preference to get to the midi settings for Quicktime and it looks like this is gone now."

My note: This may refer to "Audio MIDI Setup." I'm on OS 10.4.11. However, see if there is an "Audio MIDI Setup" application in the Utilities Folder. If you decide to try Snow Leopard again, see if this works. I don't have any soundfonts or MIDI devices, or I'd check it out.

Look up "Audio MIDI Setup" in Apple Help.
=====
Another post still recommends QT 7 or Pro for advanced features.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the tip to open audio MIDI Setup, Mrs. Disler. That utility controls the Mac's use of external sound devices, so it doesn't effect the software sounds, but I did find that my microphone setting had changed. I use the Optical Digital Output of my Mac, and that bypasses Audio MIDI Setup and the volume controls on my keyboard.

Despite prolonged fussing with the settings in Audio MIDI Setup, I haven't been able to get my MIDI keyboard working through my Mac for some time, but I suspect that it's the fault of obsolete drivers for my MOTU FastLane MIDI interface. Instead, I have the audio output of the keyboard plugged into an external amplifier.

I am now happily back with O/S 10.5.8, but you may be interested to know that for the brief time I had Snow Leopard installed, Finale 2008 played with no problem. Sibelius, on the other hand, issued an update to make it compatible with QT X.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Oh the joys of "progress!"

Sounds like you're a MIDI expert.

Here's the motu home page & their note on Snow Leopard. - You've already checked it, no doubt.

Best of luck!!