Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    MIDI Lollardy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MIDI Lollardy
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I remain a devotee of MIDI. I was listening to a CD of music by Hollywood composer Sean Callery Sean Callery, and I was so impressed by the sound that I went to Ask.com and entered the query "What sound library does Sean Callery use?"

I was gratified to learn at the site of Sound on Sound magazine that much of Callery's work is in MIDI, and that for video games, a live orchestra was recorded. (Naturally, Sibelius notation software was used.)

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
What does MIDI have to do with the following? I guess I am missing something.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Lollardy

"Lollardy was the political and religious movement of the Lollards from the mid-14th century to the English Reformation. The term Lollards refers to the followers of John Wycliffe, [1] a prominent theologian who was thrown out of University of Oxford in the 1381 for criticism of the traditional church, especially his doctrine on the Eucharist. Its demands were primarily for reform of Western Christianity."

Thanks

Brian

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
It's a stretched analogy.

The Lollards dismissed the services of the organized church as being unnecessary to a relationship with God. I am likewise hostile to both the music industry and the software industry (or any other industry or entity that is eager to take my money), and despite that my music gets consistently poor reviews, I refuse to spend $14,000 on the Vienna Symphonic Library or even $800 for the East-West Orchestra sounds. I'll stubbornly stick it out with my beloved MIDI fonts and the few live (human) ensembles who perform my stuff.

I also hate the music publishers, all of whom pay you only 10% to 20% of what they sell of your creation.

The Lollards were against the religious establishment, and I'm against the music establishment -- in all its prehensile forms.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Actually I think the "music establishment" is undergoing monumental changes, largely due to the web. Yes, the big publishers have their favorites (ever noticed how few women writers, composers they represent - especially in the pedagogical/didactic material? - next to non-existent).

That said, one can push ahead on their own with today's technologies. Becoming recognized is EXTREMELY difficult - ironically because the web has generated so MUCH material.

If I had "the answer," would gladly share it. One can only go where the heart leads and choose actions & activities with personal integrity, because you know you have something to offer, and because you can't imagine doing anything else.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Disler, I meant to speak with you after the last MUG meeting -- I saw you there -- but my friends were eager to leave.

I have exchanged messages with Mary Lynn Badarak, who has some of her music posted at iCompositions. I can't recall whether it was I who posted a compliment to one of her pieces or if she gave a generous review to one of mine, but I learned from our brief exchanges that she is published by the prestigious house of G. Schirmer.

Having been accepted only by rip-off publishers myself, I asked her how she managed to get signed with such a famous firm. She replied that she entered her music in several composition contests, and she won a few. After that, the publishers accepted her scores with alacrity.

Because of her encouragement, I decided to answer this spam I received from Spain and entered their contest for the best new paso doble.

I printed the score and parts, and it cost me $10 to mail the package to the address in Spain. After that, I heard nothing, so I sent them an inquiry asking if they had received my entry.

In reply, they said that for them to consider my entry, I would have to provide my passport number. This made me suspicious, so I sent them a phony passport number -- the same as my number, but each digit was off by a few -- and I've heard nothing since.

The entire music business stinx, and I'd rather be involved with more honorable people -- such as dope dealers.