Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    FLAC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FLAC
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I purchased an album of FLAC files from a site called HD Tracks. These are high-end audio files with a sampling rate of 96 kHz and 24 bits. The site sells files with even higher sampling rates, but a Mac won't play them.

The files sound spectacular on the external audio system I have connected to my Mac's optical digital port, but now I want to play these same files at the same 24/96 sampling on my big stereo downstairs.

Burning them to a CD is pointless, because most CD players read only the standard 16/44.1, and anyway, these files are so large that the album is about one GB.

Instead of a CD player, I have a cheap DVD player attached to my stereo, and DVDs are 96 kHz, which suits my purposes, but when I tried to burn the FLAC files onto a blank DVD using Toast 11 to make an audio CD, I received the error message below.

Can anyone suggest an app. that would enable me to burn my FLAC tracks onto a DVD that would play on a standard DVD player?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone suggest an app. that would enable me to burn my FLAC tracks onto a DVD that would play on a standard DVD player?

This error indicates that your hardware is having issues with the DVD Discs you are using. "Medium Error" refers to the disc you are trying to record to. Try another brand.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply, Brian. That seemed reasonable, although I'd had no problem with Memorex before.

But what other brand should I purchase? I rode my bicycle to the video store in Detroit, where they make bootleg DVDs. If anyone had reliable blanks, surely they would.

I bought one blank DVD for $1. What brand? No label on it, but it has the blank white face such as those used in Epson printers. (They're also more expensive.)

Alas, when I returned home, I found that the new blank DVD produced the same error message in Toast 11 as did the Memorex.

I don't think much of error codes, and I don't believe I have a medium problem. I suspect that Toast 11 simply will not burn an audio DVD from FLAC files.

What's the alternative?

Incidentally, in experimenting with the FLAC files, I used Toast to convert one to an Apple Lossless file to see if I could discern a difference between the two formats.

As it happens, I certainly could. Toast added a slight amount of distortion ("khkhkhkh") to the Apple Lossless file. I tried the same conversion with the free app. Switch, and a perfect file resulted.

I thus think that Toast simply doesn't handle FLAC files very well.

What's the alternative?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you want to eliminate the hardware, make your output into an ISO file instead of going direct to the burner.

Another issue could be the burner itself. Can you burn anything with Toast? It may be that the drive needs a cleaning.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx, Jack. Things were really confounded here when I got the same error message upon trying to burn a movie using Toast 11. After many hours of frustration, I realized that I had been using the same disks on which I had tried to burn the audio files. (It didn't look like the burner had written anything on the disks.) After getting a fresh disk from the bottom of the pile, I successfully burned several videos to DVD.

Making a disk image (that's what an ISO file is, right?) of the FLAC files will not help my intent, which is to burn them to a disk which can be played on my downstairs DVD player.

I'm thinking that I could convert the FLAC files to Apple Lossless, and then burn them to disk, but then I'm back to 44.1 kHz/16bit sampling.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I can actually hear the difference between Apple Lossless and the expensive FLAC files. I asume that dogs can hear the difference, but as with so much the audiophiles worship, there may be a placebo effect, and any perceived improvement in sound is illusory.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith:

Making a disk image (that's what an ISO file is, right?) of the FLAC files will not help my intent, which is to burn them to a disk which can be played on my downstairs DVD player.

The point was to determine if the problem is with hardware or software.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post