Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Vinyl Transfer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl Transfer
 Login/Register

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted
I know we've discussed this before, but I'm curious if anyone has found any new/better software for cleaning up pops and crackles in audio recording from ancient vinyl. Just bought an ION USB turntable, and while the software to capture is easy to use for capturing, it has nothing for filtering out the standard noise. I have a recording from the Redford High 1962 Spring Concert that I'm transferring to CD for some of my old classmates.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I'm ready to part with my old 4-speed portable, a former school A/V unit. Make me an offer.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Although, I don't use it a lot, I have had pretty decent luck with CD Spin Doctor. What software comes with the ION? Audacity?

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Comes with EZ Converter, which does a nice job of straight recording, and they recommend Audacity for cleaning it up. Tried CD Spin Doctor, but it doesn't give me the control I want.

I just grabbed a piece of shareware called VinylStudio that looks like it will do everything. I ran one very badly scratched file through it, and the results were remarkable. $29, but if it does the job and saves me time, it might be worth it. Fodder for another blog post!

—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
It's good for splitting and trimming tracks, but I've never found a way to make it clean up pops and crackles. I've used it for tape transfers.

—P M Evans

Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Wilson
posted Hide Post
I agree with Phyllis about FV. I use SoundSoap 2, http://tinyurl.com/22mkgr8 altho it might be a bit pricey for just doing a few LPs. I intend to try Vinyl Studio and compare it to SoundSoap. If that is your situation, Phyllis or I or another member with SoundSoap or VinylStudio can probably be of help.

Bill W.

Posts: 484 | Location: Novi, MI | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Bias just released a LP/tape recording and clean-up program, SoundSaver.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post