Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Schadenfreude
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schadenfreude
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
Saturday evening, I attended the Collage Concert at Schoolcraft College. Featured among the performances was their Synthesizer Ensemble which performed a technological first. They had twelve HP computers, each with a touch screen, and twelve musicians operating them. Before the concert I asked one of the players what software they'd be running, and he replied, "Power Point," which left me puzzled. (Power Point for music?)

Each computer would sound a single tone when touched, and they would perform "In the Hall of the Mountain King" in the manner of Swiss bell ringers, with each player being responsible for a single note.

The faculty head of the ensemble (who I noticed wore a hearing aid) announced the performance by saying that HP's Touch Screen technology was "far superior to that of the iPad," but once the performance began it was obvious that it would not come off. The tune was barely recognizable, because they apparently had a latency problem. A player would touch the screen and a tone would eventually sound, but it was impossible to coordinate the tones, and their efforts descended into cacophony.

After the show, I approached the group of synthesists and the sound man, and I couldn't restrain myself from chiding them: "See? If you guys had used Macs, you wouldn't have had that latency, because there is no sound card on a Mac. Having to go through the monitor to the video card to the motherboard to the sound card was too many steps. Since Macs handle all sounds through the central processor, you'd have had less latency."

I don't know if that's true or not, but it was fun to mock the vaunted new HP Touch Screen technology.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if that's true or not, but it was fun to mock the vaunted new HP Touch Screen technology

Do you often make up "Facts" like this?

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Of course a single keyboard key (or even a doorbell button) could also activate a tone.
It seems like it would not require "far superior" touchscreen technology to achieve a simple button push.
I'm guessing latency issues just might trace back to use of PowerPoint(!?) to run the show.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I'm with Chuck on this one... PowerPoint was more than likely the true cause of the latency problems than the HP Touch Screen.

Comparing the HP Touch Screen vs. the iPad seems a waste of time since since only one product is actually available to the public. Perhaps Schoolcraft College got the computers free for the commercial plug during each concert?

Don't know why you felt the need to comment on the hearing aid the Faculty Head wore. Perhaps crossing the line between Sarcasm and Arrogance was your intention? Hmmmm....

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I was there on Saturday night as well. ( My Daughter played in the Wind Ensemble ). While the idea was catchy, ( using touch screens ) the output was what I expected.

Yes, the instructor made a reference to the iPad. But I am sure he was just as uninformed as the rest of the crowd. The only thing in common to the 2 devices is a touch screen. The HP machine and the iPad are in 2 different classes all together and not the same except for a touch screen.

The comment was not much to get ramped up about in my opinion because I know better. If some one gets a 9 inch screen device mixed up with a 24 inch screen device, they can either check the HP website and then the Apple website for clarification.

Just my 2 cents.

Just an after thought. Can you imagine Steve Jobs doing the same presentation of the iPad with the iPad being 24 inches, sitting in that easy chair?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Calvin,

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I don't actually claim to know what caused the touch-screen debacle, but I think it's obvious that they didn't attempt this performance without any rehearsal. In fact, in my conversation with the performers, one said that the idea had worked much better during rehearsals, which had not taken place in the great hall.

It seems unlikely that the software, PowerPoint, would behave differently in a different environment, but the touch screens might react differently, and there might be a change in the computers with a different (unfiltered) electrical supply which was also being used by a PA, video projection and other varying loads. But that's merely my guess.

The lesson I took away from the experience was Get a Mac!

Huh. "Arrogance"? Name calling here at the Mac Group? I wasn't expecting that. That must be arrogant of me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
This had to come, sooner or later:
"Concert Pianist Plays iPad Onstage"
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1785...html?tag=mncol;posts

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post