Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    MP3 download
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MP3 download
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Wilson
posted
This question probably should be asked elsewhere.
A friend asked if I could download some music into her MP3 player. I know I can go into iTunes/prefs/advanced/burning and select MP3, but I don't know if I can download it to a device other than on iPod. I checked iTunes Help but could not find the answer there. Any suggestions?
Bill W.

Posts: 484 | Location: Novi, MI | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Guessing that her MP3 player most likely will only connect to a Windows PC, probably via USB or USB 2.0,
It may have its own software or might use Windows Media Player or other Windows-based jukebox software to manage its files. You could dump your MP3's (any AAC or iTunes Music Store protected AAC's won't work on her player) to a CD or thumb drive, copy them to the PC and let her software do the rest.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Everything depends on the brand of MP3 player. Some of them have proprietary systems and need to transfer the files with their own software, and like Chuck says, Windows only in many cases. If you're lucky, you might just be able to drag and drop. I have an Iomega MP3 player that is strictly drag and drop. Very nice little beast with a terrible shape, but it also does voice recording and runs on AAA batteries. I'd find out the brand and model and then look it up on the web. That will at least give you compatibility info.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Wilson
posted Hide Post
I'm always amazed at how quickly responses come up in this forum! Thanks, Chuck and Phyllis. I'll get the brand and model number and follow your advice.

Posts: 484 | Location: Novi, MI | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
In addition to the info mentioned above, if you have a recent copy of Roxio Toast you can burn MP3 CD's which is a great way to handle the exchange of files.

A friend has a Cingular SLVR iTunes Phone (and Windows) and was amazed when I first gave him a few songs because it help all the ID3 data intact (album art, lyrics, etc).

A MP3 CD can also be played in many other types of portable players now days also. Another friend just picked up a Sony Walkman at Target on clearance for about $26 and now can put hundreds of songs on a Mp3 CD instead of carrying multiple CD's of various Albums.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Wilson
posted Hide Post
Thanks to your great suggestions here's what I've done: Created a playlist in iTunes which I can download to an MP3 player, burned the playlist as an MP3 CD, and downloaded the playlist as MP3 to a thumb drive. So me thinks I'm ready to share the songs to her MP3 player in one manner or another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Wilson,