Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Breaking one long audio recording into multiple chapters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking one long audio recording into multiple chapters
 Login/Register

Padawan
Picture of Karen Budzinski
posted
I have a one-hour audio recording that I want to split into chapters so I can go back and forth while listening. How do I do that? I tried splitting by markers and then into different tracks in Garageband but don't know how to get it to separate into different "chapters". Do I have to export each track individually and then burn them? Does Roxio Toast 8 have something to do it? iDVD? Thanks for any help!!! Eek

Posts: 97 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I think most DAW's (digital audio workstations) will easily do what you ask. There is a learning curve - sometimes steep. Unfortunately, I haven't worked with inexpensive ones on the Mac. I have done editing on a Windows PC with Sound Forge.

Here's a very good process description of converting LP's to digital audio files. I think it's very important important to have proper grounding, the inverse RIAA curve, and good de-clicking software. I suspect good plug-ins will be essential (for good sound).

Some possible Mac-based DAW's or sound editors might be:
  • Apple's Soundtrack Pro
  • Apple's Logic Pro
  • Bias Peak
  • Cakewalk's Sonar Home Studio 6
  • Cakelwalk's Sonar 6 Studio Edition
  • BIAS’s SoundSoap 2
  • Roxio's CD Spin Doctor (Toast 6/7)

If you have an Intel-based Mac, you could use a number of Windows DAW's, if you own Windows XP.

A good sound card or external phono preamp may also be helpful in reducing unnecessary noise. See these links:

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Hi! My audio was on CD, and I imported it into Garageband, and divided it onto different tracks. I have Roxio Toast 8 to burn it. I HAVE in the past brought audio cassette tapes and recorded them also. The sound was good enough for what I needed. My big issue is that if I listen to a CD in my car, every time I stop my car, when I start, the CD starts over! So I wanted to put chapters on my audio tapes. Thanks for any help.

With Spin Doctor, how do you work it? I will try that out...

Padawan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chuck -- I'm going to look at my spin doctor...

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
karen,
It sounds like you use a factory CD player. Have you tried pausing the CD before you get out (although the factory player that was in my Ford would hold automatically)?

You may need to get an after-market CD player.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Well, I figured it's in the "auto" preferences when you hit the memory key, the audio switches to FM or something. What I did to break into chapters is just keep deleting all the other chapters, individually saving each one as mp4 & then burning on the same cd. it works but it is VERY timeconsuming. Thanks! Karen

Padawan
posted Hide Post
This is EXACTLY what I needed -- I purchased it and am off and running! Thanks SO MUCH!